Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who You SHOULDN'T Promote on Your Forum
Hey guys, this is just a short readme helping out new websites with staff selections. Before you read, please know that this is my personal opinion, and how I have/haven't chosen staff in the past.

----

Do-Nots of Staff Promotions

Code:
Promoting your friends
Promoting someone because they donated
Promoting new, seemingly helpful and experienced users
Promoting seemingly illiterate retards (read below)

Now let me elaborate. If you want your website to go somewhere, and not just be a hang-out for a group of friends, you cannot promote your friends. It'll look bad. You needs your staff to look top-of-the-line elite.

Another thing I see is someone getting promoted because they donated to the website. If I donated $20.00 here should I get a moderator position? Absolutely not. This is especially true for small forums because they are so grateful for a donation.

You also need to watch out for social engineering attempts. If you promote new users, and have you have people who do not like you, you have a problem. I'm not going to lie, I've S.E'd many small forums by PMing the admin with my experience. I'd often get promoted within a day or two of posting nicely and then I take it down. You need to watch out for this. You also need to see who is dedicated to the website, and not just on there for a week hoping for staff.

I've seen some forums, where the owner promoted someone who sounds like a retard when they type. Everyone has heard of one of those kinds of people. they r always typing lyke this with no grammer nd spellig mistakes. Do not promote those people, though if anyone even registered here I'm sure that's common knowledge. For those who have someone like that on their forums, just get rid of him. Open up a debate topic and you'll realize he looks like an idiot.

---

Thanks for reading. :0
hmm...pretty much the basics..
well..if a user has donated to a forum..he would certainly belong to the VIP group..which most forums do have...and i doubt whether anyone will be willing to make such a person an admin,..
anyways..i do the SE part too..loll
[Image: 52I4m.png]
Basic, but the third point is so true.
[Image: vhc689.jpg]
do noт мaĸe мe мad. ι wιll ĸιll yoυ.
-rep me if you want to get banned! please!
Anonymous rep is for freakin cowards!
Nice xD xD
Amazing
Nice post, between me and you SF should have quite a bit of knowledge on how to choose staff members! Smile
(05-16-2010, 03:13 AM)SkullTraill Wrote: Basic, but the third point is so true.

Some 'webmasters' who own there free web hosting forums often suffer from this. Though, even Omniscient was attacked because of a social engineer attempt. A successful one at that.

Especially modern warfare 2 forums that are new. One guy pays for a lobby who types like a retard and he is promoted because he payed. It makes me want to destroy the board for the owner's sake.

Updated OP with a fourth rule, a very important one.
I always promote my friends, if they are up for the job.
I personally social with intelligent people mostly.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
Lots of this is common sense, but you've put some effort into this I can see. Very nice contribution buddy Smile Lots of people don't obey these guidelines though lol, I know lots of people that get promoted to staff because they know the root administrator.
(12-25-2010, 04:26 PM)Infinity Wrote: Lots of this is common sense, but you've put some effort into this I can see. Very nice contribution buddy Smile Lots of people don't obey these guidelines though lol, I know lots of people that get promoted to staff because they know the root administrator.

Keep note of those websites and check back around 2 months later. Check the activity. Tongue

And it is common sense...but that isn't always so common.
1 and 4, so dam true your friends always expect to become staff on a site you own.
[Image: carbon.png]