Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I put a DDR3 RAM into a DDR2?
Physically, a DDR3 RAM fit's into a DDR2 slot, because they are usually the same sizes, but your motherboard has to support DDR3 in order to get it working. Also, it's not only about DDR (DDR2/DDR3), but about the frequency etc. If your motherboard / CPU can take RAM with only, let's say, 667MHz DDR2, a 800MHz DDR2 won't work properly inside it. This happened to me:

I have 2 older laptops, the older one supports DDR only, the newer one supports DDR2 too, but has currently DDR RAM inside.
So I tried to upgrade RAM in the older laptop (because it has a better CPU) by placing there one RAM from my newer laptop, which is also DDR.
I thought that they will work, but then I realised, that the 256MB RAM module is running on a different frequency than the 128MB one that was currently in. After turning on my laptop I saw tons of hexadecimal numbers.

very possible Tongue just gotta have backwards compatabillty
Marda Superman
Yea im pretty sure u have to use the same stick of ram ):
[Image: pughacking.png]
(08-28-2010, 06:12 AM)tomynho Wrote: Physically, a DDR3 RAM fit's into a DDR2 slot, because they are usually the same sizes, but your motherboard has to support DDR3 in order to get it working. Also, it's not only about DDR (DDR2/DDR3), but about the frequency etc. If your motherboard / CPU can take RAM with only, let's say, 667MHz DDR2, a 800MHz DDR2 won't work properly inside it. This happened to me:

I have 2 older laptops, the older one supports DDR only, the newer one supports DDR2 too, but has currently DDR RAM inside.
So I tried to upgrade RAM in the older laptop (because it has a better CPU) by placing there one RAM from my newer laptop, which is also DDR.
I thought that they will work, but then I realised, that the 256MB RAM module is running on a different frequency than the 128MB one that was currently in. After turning on my laptop I saw tons of hexadecimal numbers.

no, if your board only supports for example 667 mhz and you place a 800 mhz in it, doesn't mean it wont work, it will work but it will be undervolted into 667 mhz only
I would just stick with DDR2 as your computer seems to be de compatible with DDR3 (IF ITS A OLD PC) If you bought it within the last month then it should support both.
(10-02-2010, 01:41 AM)XiX Eb0y XiX Wrote: I would just stick with DDR2 as your computer seems to be de compatible with DDR3 (IF ITS A OLD PC) If you bought it within the last month then it should support both.

don't base on dates. base on models.. motherboard model will always do. he can even use everest to look for it, or to know if his Mobo supports ddr3...

you can't base on dates. you can even buy boards with ddr2 now.
(08-28-2010, 06:12 AM)tomynho Wrote: Physically, a DDR3 RAM fit's into a DDR2 slot, because they are usually the same sizes, but your motherboard has to support DDR3 in order to get it working. Also, it's not only about DDR (DDR2/DDR3), but about the frequency etc. If your motherboard / CPU can take RAM with only, let's say, 667MHz DDR2, a 800MHz DDR2 won't work properly inside it. This happened to me:

Frequency isn't a factor. Your motherboard will only use up to the slowest stick's frequency. So if you have four sticks, three at 667MHz and the fourth at 800MHz, that fourth will effectively run at 667MHz. So the only time frequency comes into play when buying is making sure you don't spend extra cash for a higher frequency when your mother board won't utilize it.

In the end it doesn't matter because DDR3 is not backwards compatible with DDR2. The notch on DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are all in different places.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
if your computer supports it you can google your ram slot see if it supports ddr3 because i did the same thing ddr3 in my walmart comp
If your MB supports DD3 then for sure.

If not then there will be problems with your MB
Why would you like to have DDR and DDR2 at same time? Or DDR2 and DDR3? Even that would be nooby. If you got DDR2, get another DDR2 and you'll be ok. Also there may be some problems occured in MB(MotherBoard).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I put this videocard to my motherboard? Don Panzer 5 1,350 05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Nemmyy