Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
laptop disk space
(10-08-2009, 12:36 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Disable System Restore/Hibernation and shadow files. You will regain at least 20%/30% more space back.

I do this myself, but do a manual back-ups weekly on a External drive.

system restore helps me when i fudge up my settings haha.
You can delete unused restore points. Restore points take up a lot of space.
Also remember to uninstall unused programs. Press Windows Key and R at the same time. Then type in appwiz.cpl. Hit enter. Now uninstall programs you rarely use.
Another thing is you can download CCleaner like the others said dL: http://www.filehippo.com/download_cclean...dd8971c88/
Try to uninstall the programs before running CCleaner because files are left behind after Uninstallation and CCleaner will delete them for you.
I recommend these two programs for speed/space optimization:

Advanced System Care (Pro or Free)
Auslogics BoostSpeed

Run them daily, sometimes twice a day. Delete all unused system restore points. Uninstall any unneeded programs, and run a full system virus scan. Delete any movies or songs that you do not need from your PC.

Good luck.
(10-08-2009, 08:21 AM)Gokus Nightmare Wrote: the disk space on my laptop isnt too great, but no matter how many things i delete, it doesnt come close to free'ing up any space, i know vista itself takes up about 20 gig, but has anyone got any tips on freeing up disk space? thanks

Use my method, it's the only way you can get your precious space back versus what these guys are telling you.

110% guaranteed - you will be satisfied on the free space you will get back, but you have to back-up now and then just incase.
delete all files that aren't used and useless files,even programs that you really like, programs take up space so drastic times call for drastic measures lol
i keep my laptop clean and running fast with occasional reformats. i backup personal files and just wipe my HDD and reinstall the os.
use Tune-Up, it is better than those listed above
Use any of the following programs to clean up. disabling system restore frees up alot i would just backup all you info with a external hardrive. Uninstall all the programs you dont need.
Dell XPS 630i 6gigs IntelCore2duo e8400 ATI Radeon HD 4850!

[Image: ildE.gif]Feed Us![Image: KcXT.gif]
reinstall windows on it and start from scratch. download what you need and delete the things you only use for a small amount of time
ATF cleaner does a nice job aswel