Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Guide] How to create Mirror Text [Photoshop]
How to create 'Mirror Text' using Photoshop.

Quick note:
Before I start off with this guide I would like to add that this is both my first 'Picture annotated' Guide and my first Graphics guide. I am by no means new in the field of graphics. I am currently working as a Web & Graphic designer while studying. I thought I would make this tutorial because it is such a simple and easy effect to carry out. The outcome to this tutorial is as follows:

First Step:
The first step of the tutorial is to create your photoshop canvas. Please note that this effect can be used in any sized canvas with anything in them. It only involves manipulating text so you can add to previous work. Please note that the size, nor font in this tutorial matter. For demonstration purposes I am creating a 1024x1280px canvas and filling it with white.

Second Step:
Now to create your text. This can be any font or colour you wish and will work with images as well if the same procedure is taken. I am covering most of the canvas and using a Bold font.

Third Step:
Now you will see in your 'Layers' Panel another layer has been created and it will be called the same text as you typed in. For example my layer will be called 'TEXT.' Now select this by simply clicking it and press CTRL+J on your keyboard. This will duplicate your layer as you will see in your 'Layers' Panel. Now select the new layer and do two things to it:
  1. Select 'Edit > Transform > Rotate 180 Degrees'
  2. Then Select 'Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal'
Now move this flipped layer to the bottom of your other text. Make sure the top of it is touching the bottom of your previous layer and everything is matched up correctly:

Fourth Step:
Firstly Select This button:

This is the 'Mask' Tool. It is located in the bottom right corner under your 'Layers' Panel. After selecting this Click on the Gradiant Tool with Black as your primary colour and white as your secondary:

This is located on the left hand panel. Now hold SHIFT and drag from the Top of the Flipped layer to the bottom of it creating this effect:

Fourth Step:

Now this is the Final step and can be left to preference. Lower the opacity for the flipped layer down to around 5%. Adjust it to suit your needs and you will end up with your final product.

-Poppins
WhiteHat Hacker, Infection Control and HJT Team Trainee
Poppins™
Originally from: Hackforums.net
Your "X" is pixy and reflection sloppy.

And this could be done in 1-3 steps, why are you making this so hard.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
(04-12-2010, 01:46 PM)Uchiha Sasuke Wrote: Your "X" is pixy and reflection sloppy.

And this could be done in 1-3 steps, why are you making this so hard.

I'm doubting 1 step. But I made this number of steps in order to explain to the end user more. Often when I used to follow tutorials there used to be few steps assuming that you know your way around Photoshop. This is meant to help to explain. As for the method. It is my method and I use it a lot when working with clients Smile. As for the X being 'pixy' (which i assume means pixellated) I am sorry but this has not been rendered. It is simply a Cropp'ed screenshot of the photoshop window, thus the pixel loss. Thanks for the advice.
-Poppins
Poppins™
Duplicate->Free Transform->Drag the letter down->adjust to ur needs.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
(04-12-2010, 01:58 PM)Uchiha Sasuke Wrote: Duplicate->Free Transform->Drag the letter down->adjust to ur needs.

Plus then the Masking and then opacity control. The tutorial was aimed at making it easy not quick Smile. That's why i opted for the method that is most accurate in a new persons hands.
-Poppins
Poppins™
Duplicate Layer
Ctrl+T
Right Click, select flip vertically
lower opacity to liking.

Sorry dude, but your tut is way over complicated
(04-12-2010, 04:10 PM)Rhythm Wrote: Duplicate Layer
Ctrl+T
Right Click, select flip vertically
lower opacity to liking.

Sorry dude, but your tut is way over complicated

That is what the guide consists of Blackhat. Just certainly when I started out tutorials would say things like that and I would have no idea where the tools where. This tutorial also adds in masking to give the fade-out effect. Smile

-Poppins
Poppins™
guys, come on. It takes a lot of work to get all that on a thread. I happened to like the tut.
(04-12-2010, 09:39 PM)T0x1c Wrote: guys, come on. It takes a lot of work to get all that on a thread. I happened to like the tut.

Thanks so much for the feedback Smile.
Poppins™
Nice tut for bigginers, I think it would have been better if you did a tutorial on how to make a web 2.0 logo's reflection.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photoshop - Animated Text Shine Tutorial courage 28 8,968 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Diabolic
  Create a sleek Button in Photoshop [VIDEO INCLUDED] PixelArts 7 961 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Adαm
  [TUT]How to create a Fire text? Jinu 0 617 01-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Jinu
  [Tut] How to create Ripples in the Water like text Jinu 2 883 01-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Last Post: Terry™
  [TUT]Photoshop: Gold Text Effect[Easy] Rocker Hasan 6 1,101 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Last Post: System Meltdown