Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanking children as a means of discipline.
(04-09-2010, 10:48 PM)Pokémon Wrote: I think that it should be reserved only for certain situations. For example, "Mom, I don't want to eat my vegetables anymore." " you don't want to eat vegetables, eh?" *spank/hit* I think that's a stupid reason. I think you could probably train kids like dogs when the do something good reward them.

That's stupid in my opinion. You'd hit your kid because he didn't want to eat his vegetables? Try something like, "Well, you aren't leaving that chair until you do." would be just fine. I think explaining the importance of the nutrition that comes from vegetables would be good as well. You could always throw in a white lie such as, "You won't grow if you don't eat your vegetables."
(04-09-2010, 10:53 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: That's stupid in my opinion. You'd hit your kid because he didn't want to eat his vegetables? Try something like, "Well, you aren't leaving that chair until you do." would be just fine. I think explaining the importance of the nutrition that comes from vegetables would be good as well. You could always throw in a white lie such as, "You won't grow if you don't eat your vegetables."

I just said that would be a stupid reason to hit them >_>
I think this is definitely a good idea. If my mum didn't give me a slap from time to time i would probably be in prison by now... I think people these days are way to safety cautious.. People say "Don't hit your kid, its abuse!" blah blah blah... No it's not abuse at all... Unless you are seriously hurting them, bruising them etc.. Giving a kid a spanking is a good way to discipline them.. I know from personal experience & I'm sure those that have also been spanked as a kid for discipline will agree...
In many countries spanking children is ilegal and consiterd abuse.
See wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanking
(04-10-2010, 07:10 PM)Ruv Wrote: In many countries spanking children is ilegal and consiterd abuse.
See wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanking
There is a differnce between abuse and spanking.
Spanking is a tool used by parents to give their kid somewhat of a shock when all else has failed.
Consider it like war you warn them over and over you slowly step up in levels but ultimately every now and then war is the answer to get the point across
In the United States of America, depending on the state in which you live, if you spank your child they can call social services and have you brought to court for child abuse and battery. There are some states in which it's still legal, but that's changing quickly.

Even most people who agree with corporal punishment (ie., spanking) believe it's only effective up to a certain age, usually around 9-10. After that, it's abuse.
[Image: MajorDav3.png]
When I am a parent. Im going to retain from any physical punishment.

I'll send them to the corner or take things away.
I see absolutely no problem with it, my parents did it to me when I had done something very wrong/been very rude/disrespectful. It didn't teach me hitting is ok, or anything of the sort. I see no problem with corporal punishment whatsoever, be it in the home, in schools, or by court punishment.
(04-11-2010, 12:09 PM)DrecliN Wrote: When I am a parent. Im going to retain from any physical punishment.

I'll send them to the corner or take things away.

And when they refuse to stay in the corner, and smash up your things until you give theirs back? Sometimes it's the only choice, if a child wont respond to lesser punishments you have to resort to it to show your authority. If you don't have authority over your child you might as well give up as a parent.

I remember my dad telling me a story about how he once got the cane in school (Up in front of the whole school, by the headmaster) And never ever dared do anything wrong again. It teaches respect which sadly we seem to greatly lack in today's society.
[Image: Lj]
(04-11-2010, 12:10 PM)Vorfin Wrote: I see absolutely no problem with it, my parents did it to me when I had done something very wrong/been very rude/disrespectful. It didn't teach me hitting is ok, or anything of the sort. I see no problem with corporal punishment whatsoever, be it in the home, in schools, or by court punishment.

And when they refuse to stay in the corner, and smash up your things until you give theirs back? Sometimes it's the only choice, if a child wont respond to lesser punishments you have to resort to it to show your authority. If you don't have authority over your child you might as well give up as a parent.

Indeed, I can see where you're coming from.
But if need to be it comes down to it, It will happen. Trust me.
I wasn't spanked, i just got my toys taken away Bebe-pleure

From what I've seen spanking, i wouldn't think it'd be a very effective punishment.

We used to get them in elementary school though, it wasn't that you didn't wanna get spanked because it hurt, it was just embarrassing to be getting spanked by the principle.
[Image: gfxbanner.png]