Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ASK] once per user script [ASK]
Hello all, i need help with php scripts

Anyway, here's the story:

i have several freebies download. i want the user chooses only 1 of them. when a user goes to the page for the first time, there'll be download links in the sidebar. after he has downloaded one, the download links will disappear, even if he has closed his browser and come back again.

i'm thinking about using cookies. i set cookies named "bob". if "bob" is detected, the href scripts will not be shown, if "bob" is not detected, the href scripts will be shown.

or maybe create 2 clone pages, one contains no download links, the other contains download links. so, if "bob" is detected, user will be redirected to page with no download links and vice-versa (don't think this will work because the user must visit the main page first then "bob" is set instead of otherwise, but all suggestions are welcomed)

the thing is i'm not php savvy, so please anyone, help me.

sorry if the thread is a little bit confusing

Thanks
The system you are proposing is very flawed. If you are to use cookies, they'd just have to delete it. If you are offering something that should be downloaded once for a good reason, that isn't a good thing. Another system would be to allow once per IP, but that's also flawed as changing your IP is very simple.

The thing I would recommend is user accounts that they'd have to register to download this, and then it would cut down on how many they would download. Make them have to verify their email address, and only allow one account per IP. Sure there is a workaround to that, but it'd be more difficult for them.

Again, that may be a bit more complicated of a design than you would want it to be. If them downloading twice isn't a big deal, then have it your way, or the IP once per download way.

Good luck
@Brandon,

thanks man, i just got an idea