Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking of switching from Kubuntu to XP.
Quote:Before I begin my post, I'd like to shed some light on Elektrisk and I's past dealings. Elektrisk is in fact an intellectual such as myself, which has caused conflict in other environments (e.g. Hackforums). Since he's moved to SF, he has changed a great deal. I congratulate and thank you for your change of heart. It has allowed me to be able to help in the areas I would not have been able to help before when conflict was present.

Thanks Smile I have learnt to be careful not to say anything that might sound provocative.

Quote:Kubuntu is not the wisest choice of desktop environment if you want 'bugless' login management/window management. Gnome is more for the experimental and the tweakers.

I'm confused by this. So, are Gnome and Kubuntu both non-stable, or what?
(04-03-2010, 04:50 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Thanks Smile I have learnt to be careful not to say anything that might sound provocative.

Quote:Kubuntu is not the wisest choice of desktop environment if you want 'bugless' login management/window management. Gnome is more for the experimental and the tweakers.
I'm confused by this. So, are Gnome and Kubuntu both non-stable, or what?

In truth its linux, hardly anything is stable. By experimental he means you can do crap to it. Modification WM would've been a better choice of words. KDE itself even being older, is more unstable. Though the newer version is good on lucid, and on OpenSuse its amazing. Try running the Lucid beta for Kubuntu.
I think you should stick with linux. It's faster than windows and it's more secure.

That's just my opinion but none of the windows virus's works on linux unless you have Wine installed. And even then most of them still do nto work.
[Image: HFTOTW2DR.png]

(04-05-2010, 05:05 PM)Detective RooTz Wrote: I think you should stick with linux. It's faster than windows and it's more secure.

That's just my opinion but none of the windows virus's works on linux unless you have Wine installed. And even then most of them still do nto work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the malware still wouldn't work, even with Wine. For example, if a virus needs to write to the registry, there won't be a registry to write to. If it needs to modify system folders, they won't be there to modify, and so on.
I'd switch to XP if I were you, not worth all the trouble imo.
Yea bro, switch to XP. It's a lot easier to get everything to work, and everything else is compatible with it.
(04-05-2010, 05:10 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the malware still wouldn't work, even with Wine. For example, if a virus needs to write to the registry, there won't be a registry to write to. If it needs to modify system folders, they won't be there to modify, and so on.

Correct. Its not just the registry. And wine is virtual. Its like a VBox thats windowless (no pun intended) Also you have the protection Sudo gives you. Nothing is done unless you say it to.
do it, its worth it!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching to Ubuntu Miku 10 2,650 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Last Post: 4Y4T3M