Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comodo Firewall + NOD32 = Problems ??
Nearly 8 years now I have been using ZoneAlarm Pro + Symantec Corporate AV...

And over the past 1 year ZoneAlarm Pro + NOD32 (lately v4)...

Recently, removed ZoneAlarm Pro and replaced with Comodo Firewall

Now, Comodo Firewall + NOD32 v4

Ever since, my NOD32 started using loads of my RAM until it stucks up my PC... ekrn.exe is the culprit process.. I tried disabling real-time file checking.. yet, it still consumes high CPU memory + it constantly downloads stuffs in the background consuming bandwidth...

Could the new combo of Comodo + NOD32 be the issue ?? Over the years, my experience taught me NOD32 never puts on so much load on the computer.....

Any clues ??
[Image: IKILLUNEW.jpg]
Nod 32 is not very RAM hungry.

Regarding File downloads:
  • Open ESET Antivirus
  • Select TOOLS
  • Select Scheduler and Uncheck Automatic Update after userlogon and Automatic Update after Dialup connection.

Go to ESET Main Menu
  • On the top right corner SELECT Setup -> Advanced setup.
  • Navigate to TOOLS -> System Updates
  • SELECT Critical Updates
  • Press OK.
  • REBOOT

NOTE: if there is no menu on upper right hand side. Please see the lower left bottom and click on toggle Standard view and change it to Advanced view.

Lemme know if this helps.Smile
Thanks Kutmustakurt

I'll try this once I reach home, I'm out right now...

Just curious, why do you suggest to "ENABLE" the windows critical updates thingy ?? I actually had turned it off recently cuz the "Green" turns into "Orange" and I get too many alerts stating that my system is not secure...... Now that you mentioned it, I am starting to suspect that the symptoms started after I turned it off only.. Not so sure though... Big Grin

Perhaps that could be the issue.... Let me try out and see... Still curious why had u suggested that one though !! Big Grin
dragonx, I just want to let you know that piracy, warez, or anything else that is illegal is forbidden on this forum. Please familiarise yourself with the rules.
Maybe this little application may help you out a bit.

It's called RamRush and it optimizes your RAM.

You can read about it here:

http://www.fcleaner.com/ramrush.htm

I got mine from a CD that came with a PC magazine,
so I don't know where mine orignated from.

If it interests you, it's best to upload it for an online anti-virus scan somewhere after downloading it to make sure about it.

I hope it may help, as I find it quite useful and it seems to make a difference at times.
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:Still curious why had u suggested that one though !!
Sorry but I did not get you. Will you please explain a little more.
The critical updates are of eset to download, so it will download only critical updates, so will not always download in background.
I did not meant windows updates.

Sorry if I was not clear before. lemme know.
(10-08-2009, 08:40 AM)Kutmustakurt Wrote: Sorry but I did not get you. Will you please explain a little more.
The critical updates are of eset to download, so it will download only critical updates, so will not always download in background.
I did not meant windows updates.

Sorry if I was not clear before. lemme know.
Nope, the "critical updates" are updates that the OS is missing (from windows list of critical updates).....

Here is a screen shot.....

[Image: nod32-1.jpg]

I had to disable it because it was constantly checking for updates in windows website......
Oh.. Ok Pinch
I forgot I had different settings in my laptop. Sorry.

So,were you able to solve your problem?
Not yet... I tried uninstalling NOD32, and my RAM worked perfect.... Again, reinstalling NOD32, ekrn.exe put my CPU to 100% usage Sad

@ AntiVirMan - I tried RamRush, it could not free up much space, and the usage jumped back to 100% in no time... I tried fcleaner from the same website, and it deleted some 149 MB from something called "temporary memory" (i have no idea where these files came from).. Yet, no much difference in the CPU usage...

Note: When I login safe mode, my PC works perfectly fine :-/
Okay,
Are you downloading the ESET setup from the original site?