Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming Smarter?
(03-10-2010, 06:45 PM)Plastic Wrote: Ok, so i have heard that many things enhance your memory, i just need help understanding stuff is there anyway to do that?

So you want to improve your comprehension abilities? That's tough, because everyones brain is different. And everyones brain processes things differently, so comprehension in certain areas comes naturally to certain people.
[Image: b7yj2x.png]
I want to improve a lot of things but i dont know where to start.
(03-12-2010, 04:52 PM)Plastic Wrote: I want to improve a lot of things but i dont know where to start.

I know what you mean. Right now I'm improving a lot of my mental aspects by learning programming, grey hat hacking, computer repair, photoshop graphics design, geometry, and all sorts of things.
[Image: b7yj2x.png]
Listen To Your Teacher When She is teaching
If you are willing to join SF Webmasters.
My Tip:

1) Aim for effectiveness, not neatness. Neatness as an end in itself can even be risky: Putting things away just to clear off your desk can cause you to lose or forget them.

2) Clutter is rarely caused by insufficient space or time. The culprit is usually indecisiveness. So be selective about what you bring into your office and home. If you know what you value and what your goals are, being selective is not hard.

3) Have a place for everything. Open your mail in the same place everyday so it doesn't get strewn everywhere. Put unpaid bills together, separate from paid bills. Store all office supplies together to prevent duplicate purchases.

4) Do not use your entire desk surface as a giant In-box. Instead, determine your next action on every piece of paper and file accordingly. Tasks to be done soon (phone calls to make, questions to ask business associates) and current projects go into your "Action Files," which should not be mixed with Reference Files. Action Files must be kept close at hand.

5) That maxim, "Handle each piece of paper only once," is too extreme to be realistic. But it contains a grain of truth. Do try to take the next action that's required each time you handle a piece of paper. How about that seminar advertisement you left on your desk, as a reminder to decide whether to sign up -- you know, that paper you've shuffled ten times today already? Either call right now to get the information you need, or make a note in your appointment book to call later. Then you're that much closer to being done with it.

6) Don't save paper that you're not willing to spend time filing. If you don't file it properly, you either will forget you have it, or you won't be able to find it when you need it. It does you no good, and the result is the same as if you'd thrown it out in the first place. If you are set up to scan information into your computer, be selective. If you cannot imagine a specific situation when you'd need to refer to the information again, don't scan it. Most of us save a great deal of paper we'll never use again.

7) Use your day planner to help clear your desk. If you avoid filing things out of fear you'll forget to follow up, jot down a reminder in your appointment book or computer software.

8) Often we are own worst enemies, interrupting ourselves by jumping from one half-finished task to another. Stop doing "the desktop shuffle" - moving papers aimlessly around on your desk. Every time you handle an item, take an action towards completing it.

9) Learn to say "No." You could live to be a hundred and still not have time to do everything you want---that's the curse and blessing of being intelligent and having high expectations of yourself. The good news is you can choose what to focus on. You have far more freedom than you may realize. Aside from obligations like caring for vulnerable family members and paying taxes, very little of what you "have" to do is morally or legally mandatory. Review everything in your life and ask, "What's the worst that can happen if I stopped doing this?" Saying "No" sometimes is the only way you can "Yes" to what you really value.

10) Beware of stuff. The more stuff you have, the more you must find a place to put, and the more you'll have to clean, repair, and eventually replace. Stop buying things you don't really need just because they're on sale. You can always get more stuff, and you can always get more money. But you can never get more time.

11) Do buy more of things you use continually. Frantic last-minute shopping trips can be averted by purchasing things before your supply runs out.

12) Schedule appointments with yourself to get things done. Appointments aren't only for business lunches or seeing your doctor. They're for you, too. Commit to spending time on the things you keep "not getting around to." This works for everything -- from taking the next step on that back-burner project, to making sure you get yourself to the gym twice a week.

13) Beware of perfectionism. Most routine work doesn't need to be done perfectly. Ask yourself -- Is your effort disproportionate to the value of the task? Will other, more important projects be delayed as a result? Can you reduce the frequency or level of detail of this task?
(03-12-2010, 04:52 PM)Plastic Wrote: I want to improve a lot of things but i dont know where to start.

Motivation goes a long way, find out what areas motivate you the most and start there. I've often found that the people who I thought were just smarter then me weren't, they were just more driven at the time than I was.
[Image: tje1.png]
just study
(03-04-2010, 04:24 PM)Plastic Wrote: I will look up a bunch of stuff, but i wish i had a photographic memory, is there a way to get a photographic memory or are you just born with it?

You have to be born with a photographic memory, however there are methods to improve your memory, as well learning how to speed read and improving your test taking skills.

In high school I didn't just day dream, I slept at my desk, if I showed up at all. I'm much better at teaching myself because I'm far too hyper to be able to concentrate when someone is talking so slow! When I get bored, I fall alseep.

It keep myself from doing that in college, I sat in the front row and entertained myself by respectfully holding running arguments with my professor, who enjoyed it as much as I did.

To improve your test scores, instead of studying more, you learn how the tests are structured and focus your study accordingly.
Like everyone says, "Crack Open the books" It is a simple answer that fits problems such as these. Unless you are born with the knowledge it will be a breeze and sometimes you never need to study as much. I am glad I did not take after my Father in academics and took after my Mom. However, you shouldn't be unmotivated if you do not think you are smart as everyone has that talent in them. You just need to have the potential to learn and work hard.
Youre not getting smarter you only gain experience.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smarter than the other kids. PurpleHaze 35 6,687 09-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Sodra