Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certs or Diploma?
So I'm choosing to goto a Trade school because I want to. ITT Tech. I have been going to a juniour college for past 2 years and have gotten nowhere. Decided to goto trade school because it's proving more useful. So I told my friend I'm going to s trade school today and going to earn certs and have a job within 8months. He's still going to the juniour college and tells me that no one will hire people with certs. People usually hire only people with diploma's 99.9% of the time. He also meantioned people that don't have diplomas but instead have certs get underpaid. He then claims to know 20 people that it has happened to them.

Is my friend BSing me?
Maybe a little more explanation would help out.
I agree, could you provide a bit more info?
Good question. To be more precise, which trade are you referring to? And how recognisable or known are the institutions that you refer to?
Trade would be: Network Support Tech.
Certificates and diplomas are only as good as the faculty or staff body which awards them. For a trade like Network Support Technology, I would find out who are the professionals that will be teaching you. If they are professionals who are well-connected and experienced, a certificate under their training, as well as a letter of recommendation, will heighten your chances of being employed. To secure your chances of employment further, seek out an part-time or holiday apprenticeship during your training. Employment also depends on geography - some places may have more or less need of your services than others.

Poorly-performing students will find employment difficult no matter whether they hold a certificate or a diploma. The same goes for the average student who doesn't do sufficient research before graduating. Follow the advice above and I promise you that you will drastically improve your chances at finding work after your training.
My opinion, Diploma.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEBOSH Diploma: The Best Safety Training Course NeddleTiny 0 581 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Last Post: NeddleTiny
  My IT Diploma - Please would anyone mind taking my survey? groovybluedog 11 1,569 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Oats
  Higher Project Qualification (for Diploma) Ideas groovybluedog 2 1,243 01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Last Post: .Legacy.
  (American) HighSchool/Electives/Diploma/College [HELP] Reece 2 1,722 02-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Foresight