Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Starting with C++? LOOK HERE IF WONDERING
(10-06-2009, 03:34 PM)MrD. Wrote: Given, after years of working with C++, going back to C# is like having my fully automatic shotgun replaced with a water pistol, but still, a water pistol teaches you the basics of aiming and firing and is far less intimidating to those who have never used a weapon before Thumbsup

amazing analogy
Anybody who says C++ can be "knocked down" in about a month hasn't programmed anything of worth or depth. Programming is an art form that involves a lot more than the ability of copy and pasting some else's code into your IDE and hitting build/compile
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python
(10-08-2009, 08:27 PM)g4143 Wrote: Anybody who says C++ can be "knocked down" in about a month hasn't programmed anything of worth or depth. Programming is an art form that involves a lot more than the ability of copy and pasting some else's code into your IDE and hitting build/compile

Amen Brother.
Quote:Who has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap.......Bob Kelso......Have we met?
[Image: BobKelso.jpg]
(10-06-2009, 03:34 PM)MrD. Wrote: The difficulty in C++ doesn't come from the syntax, it comes from peoples understanding (or lack their-of) of managed memory allocation/de-allocation and pointers. Get a good grasp of managed memory and pointers first and you should be good to go.
There's nothing really wrong with learning C# first, if you're interested in games there's also XNA which uses C#. Given, after years of working with C++, going back to C# is like having my fully automatic shotgun replaced with a water pistol, but still, a water pistol teaches you the basics of aiming and firing and is far less intimidating to those who have never used a weapon before Thumbsup
Well said.
And lol, you lost me at memory allocation/de-allocation.
(10-06-2009, 03:34 PM)MrD. Wrote: The difficulty in C++ doesn't come from the syntax, it comes from peoples understanding (or lack their-of) of managed memory allocation/de-allocation and pointers. Get a good grasp of managed memory and pointers first and you should be good to go.

(10-05-2009, 08:23 PM)Stephon Wrote: Don't waste your time on VB or C#! Big Grin
There's nothing really wrong with learning C# first, if you're interested in games there's also XNA which uses C#. Given, after years of working with C++, going back to C# is like having my fully automatic shotgun replaced with a water pistol, but still, a water pistol teaches you the basics of aiming and firing and is far less intimidating to those who have never used a weapon before Thumbsup
That's going in the sig, lol...
personally, I started with C, tried to master all the pointer thing, after that I studied VB .net (because I had to) and actually I'm studying C++ and Java
I'm so excited and want to finish C++ to be able to start Directx programming
I know it's going to sound a little awkward but I started out learning c++ than any other language. Everyone told me it was really hard to learn and understand it but I personally find it easier than C# lol.

That's just me though.

-Trinity Blackhat
Okay a newbie this may seem like an odd question but I'm thinking about jumping in to the world of programming and was wondering how come not use windows for set up for C++? Or any .net based things out there like VB or C#?
(10-29-2009, 08:02 AM)Keyreaper Wrote: Okay a newbie this may seem like an odd question but I'm thinking about jumping in to the world of programming and was wondering how come not use windows for set up for C++? Or any .net based things out there like VB or C#?

Knowing Windows or .net is O.K. if you only plan to program in Windows...Which, if you consider Windows has like 98% of the desktop market, isn't that bad of a decision....But if you really want to program/hack then you'll have to move to a box that is open source so you can explore the kernel functionality which windows has locked down.
Slackware 13/ArchLinux - C/Assem/Python
(10-29-2009, 08:02 AM)Keyreaper Wrote: ... and was wondering how come not use windows for set up for C++?

I don't really understand your question properly, but C++ isn't a Windows only programming language and even the .NET stuff can be run on platforms other than Windows thanks to Mono.
[Image: sig.php]
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.