Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do profesional gaming private servers use to host?
What are the called? Dedicated Servers? VPN?
I am clueless but I hope that you know what I mean. People use them so they can make there server laggless and 24/7. Thanks in advance.
Aren't they just virtual XP's? You can have dedicateds, but its just a normal OS isn't it?
It's a remote desktop, but what is that called? And what is the most trusted company that supplies this?
Its not a remote desktop. Thats something different, you can connect with remote desktop. Its a virtualized xp. What game do you need?
It's normally gaming servers that are dedicated for the task. You can host multiple game servers on a single system. Most run linux binaries of the server.

The requirements for a gaming server are different than a web server. So they normally are not one the same system. I ran HLDS for over 3 years for CZ. I had over 5000 monthly player connects. So I am familiar with how it's done.

You can rent at a reasonable price at please like http://www.gameservers.com

They offer good support and fast setup.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
Most servers run some Linux Distro, have high amounts of RAM and multiple, high-speed processors. Some are "donated" (ever hear of Battle.net? Intel hosts at least one of the servers), others are run by the companies themselves.

Most companies (especially for MMOs) use custom built software for the actual server software.
GamerCraft

Visit it, and tell me what you think. Tongue
The game is Tales of Pirates.
That's an MMO, so most likely a custom server software.
GamerCraft

Visit it, and tell me what you think. Tongue
Well, most people ask their friends to host it but those never get too big since a router can only handle so much. I think professionals use VPS servers to host theirs though.
You can google for the software to run most games. WoW is probably one of the most widely supported ones.
Check out the website Omni mentioned, it should educate you a bit to what companies use (just think a LOT more then one).