Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] - User Authentication
Introduction:
In this Tutorial, I will try to show you how to create a User Authentication System.
I will use MySql to store user data to and also read from it.. Therefor you need access to a MySql Database. ;)

The script that I will try to teach you with, has functions as;
Sign Up, Login/Logout, Edit Profile, View profile and Administrator functions, Add User, Edit User, Delete User.
And I also decided to put a comment script in here too, your users can write comments on each profiles...
The whole project is split into multiple files, for the sake of better maintance.

Requirements:
  • PHP and MySql enabled Host
  • Basic understainding of PHP
  • You need to know how to create a Table in your Database Big Grin

Files:
  • config.inc.php # this file contains a code which connects to, by $config defined information.
  • index.php # this is our main file which checks for $_GET requests and then includes the right file.
  • signup.php # here we will handle user registrations.
  • login.php # with this file we allow the user to login to hise/her account.
  • admin.php # this file is same as index.php, it is only not avaliable to the public.
  • ucp.php # this file is included when the user wants to edit his/her profile. It shows a simple User control panel.
  • profile.php # with this file we load the requested user and show his/her profile.
  • comment.php # this will handle the comment script, it loads given id and prints out comments for the same.
  • admin/add.php # this file adds a user when requested.
  • admin/edit.php # functions for editing requested user.
  • admin/delete.php # this one is very simple, it just deletes the wanted user.
  • list.php # this is our member list, it will load all members and print them out

Note: I will follow the list above and explain the files in their order..

PART 1: Creating MySql Tables (Click to View)

PART 2: Writing the MySql Connection Script (Click to View)

PART 3: Writing the main Index (Click to View)

PART 4: Writing the Sign Up script (Click to View)

PART 5: Allowing your users to Login (Click to View)

PART 6: Writing the administration Area (Click to View)

PART 7: User Control panel (Click to View)

PART 8: Profile Page (Click to View)

PART 9: The Comment Script (Click to View)

PART 10: Giving the Admin some Powers (Click to View)

PART 11: Creating a Member List (Click to View)

PART 12: Useful Information (Click to View)

I hope this tutoial have showed you how to work with MySql using PHP...
It's 03:23 AM and I'm tired, my keyboard batteries also give up on me, good night and good luck learning...
Blackhat
Awesome tutorial !!

Your SQL requests can injected (COOKIES and GET), but i guess that security is not the goal of this tutorial...
Keep up the good work MoTU Smile
(01-29-2010, 01:07 PM)Spl3en Wrote: Awesome tutorial !!

Your SQL requests can injected (COOKIES and GET), but i guess that security is not the goal of this tutorial...
Keep up the good work MoTU Smile

Thanks Spl3en... Big Grin
I left the security away from this, so people can learn by them self... Security isn't a copy & paste thing... while this tutorial can just be that... ;)
I see what you mean, and i agree Smile
Really good job there Smile
Thanks man, means alot ;)
I got

Warning: require_once(connect.inc.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/freecomp/public_html/testing/index.php on line 3

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'connect.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/freecomp/public_html/testing/index.php on line 3

Can you tell me what I did wrong please?
(02-05-2010, 05:44 AM)tacolord455 Wrote: I got

Warning: require_once(connect.inc.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/freecomp/public_html/testing/index.php on line 3

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'connect.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/freecomp/public_html/testing/index.php on line 3

Can you tell me what I did wrong please?

Obviously, you don't have the file connect.inc.php..
Chnage the file config.inc.php to connect.inc.php...
Sorry that was my mistake...
Works great now, thanks. Could you do a tut on how to make it more secure now? That would be a huge help.
(02-05-2010, 12:54 PM)tacolord455 Wrote: Works great now, thanks. Could you do a tut on how to make it more secure now? That would be a huge help.

Sure man, Will be up a day or 2... Check back ;)

Thank you!
Why are you not escaping your query's to the database that allow the user to add their own text? Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Guide] A Different Approach To Authentication Disease 5 1,834 12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Chimi
  User Management Script - User Cake Support 9 5,221 05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Julie