Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anonymous Reps
Alright heres a question to you omni why do you have that enabled :S
I am sorta sick of people -repped people for now reason. IMHO I like to send Pm's to the people who gives reps out without explaining. I know you have this setup on hf but thats because hf is a kind psychotic place people don't really care there. So I am asking you can you explain why you have that feature/Plugin enabled? I don't believe imo that this forum will have reputation abuse like hf. Since its a new forum. Thanks!?
[Image: signature.php?uid=1]
The reason anonymous reps are enabled is to prevent retaliation reps. If you honestly don't believe that you deserve one of your reps then contact a mod and they should be able to see who made the rep and ascertain for themselves whether it is justified.
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]
It all starts by someones opinion. Someone thinks there in the wrong. It always backfires yes thats a good reason though. I still get annoyed it seems I get reps from weeks ago or something that did not have anything to do with the rep. W/E not time to talk about my probs though talking about sf in general.
Just look at mine. All anonymous or banned members who -rep me.
Oh yea there was one other member but he sooked to staff enough to get his and my -rep taken away lol.
Its a tool for cowards. If you cant tell someone online you dont agree with them without fear then what chance do you have in real life?
Retaliation rep will always happen. The rep system by its design is going to do that.
This is why i was for the thankyou option instead of reps.
It would truly show decent posts etc. That way members could do thankyou posts on any post. Not just one.
Bah my opinions largely go unnoticed or slammed here anyways. Smile
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Yea IDK of a thanks feature or plugin on mybb that allows that, that would be a cool idea though. Instead of reps they would be called how many thanks you have (so based on quality posts or bad quality post).
But I doubt that happens.
(01-08-2010, 11:14 PM)Tim Wrote: The reason anonymous reps are enabled is to prevent retaliation reps. If you honestly don't believe that you deserve one of your reps then contact a mod and they should be able to see who made the rep and ascertain for themselves whether it is justified.
I agree.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
It does i believe. If it didnt Omni would whip one up in about 5 min.
And another year later it would be bug free. <-- oh no he didnt lolololol. . Its a damn joke ok!!!!

But seriously he could make it happen in seconds i would think.
It would offer transparancy.
It would show how much other give merrit to a new thread for example.
You see a thread and it has 50 thanks on the first post then you know its a good post.
Just to add to above. I feel it would benefit Support Forums as a whole having thankyou to a post instead of rep.
It will give more credibility to important threads. I used to love this feature at BHW. (blackhatworld)
The Rules!

(01-08-2010, 11:27 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: It does i believe. If it didnt Omni would whip one up in about 5 min.
And another year later it would be bug free. <-- oh no he didnt lolololol. . Its a damn joke ok!!!!

But seriously he could make it happen in seconds i would think.
It would offer transparancy.
It would show how much other give merrit to a new thread for example.
You see a thread and it has 50 thanks on the first post then you know its a good post.
Just to add to above. I feel it would benefit Support Forums as a whole having thankyou to a post instead of rep.
It will give more credibility to important threads. I used to love this feature at BHW. (blackhatworld)
I think the system is fine as is. Reputation brings forth a personal value; someone who is viewing someone else's reputation should have enough sense to view the details and determine which is crap and which is genuine.

SIDENOTE: DAMINK used to hack?
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
Dunno who DMINK is sorry ;) Yes i did and do and will.

But aside from that you are wrong i feel.
Lets say you make a top thread. Something worthy of sticky.
Then you have a fall out with some members and make a dick of yourself then you could incur many -reps despite the fact your earlier post is top shelf, thus giving the user the impression its not as good a post as it is Smile
The Rules!

(01-08-2010, 11:07 PM)WMM Wrote: Alright heres a question to you omni why do you have that enabled :S
I am sorta sick of people -repped people for now reason. IMHO I like to send Pm's to the people who gives reps out without explaining. I know you have this setup on hf but thats because hf is a kind psychotic place people don't really care there. So I am asking you can you explain why you have that feature/Plugin enabled? I don't believe imo that this forum will have reputation abuse like hf. Since its a new forum. Thanks!?

I know you're a revenge rep person so of course you want to see everyone's names ;)

I personally think if you are scared to leave your name on there than you shouldn't be repping people. I think I've used anonymous a couple times, but usually it's because I'm in a hurry and accidentally click it then click send really quick, then I can't be bothered to go through, delete the old rep, then rep again.

I like the way IPB does reps. You rep a POST, not really the user. Now, when repping the post it will add or subtract from the users overall reputation, but, by default you can allow certain groups to view who gave them reputation. I don't know, I know Omni loves MyBB and his reasoning behind staying with it, besides his vast knowledge, is that he cba'd to purchase a new $150-$200+ license for a forum everytime he gets a bug up his ass to start one.

I just think the reputation system in MyBB itself is flawed. I'm looking at ways to change the overal number to images based on total reps in IPB. I wish there was someething that actually worked that was like that for MyBB. Hopefully with 1.6 they plan on doing it more vB style, it's about the only thing I like about vB especially after the way they've been trearing their clients since the Alpha stage of 4.0 (not listening to what is wanted).

But, as this is a forum for support the reputation has a place here, I just wish people would stop complaining about it. It has been beat into the ground. Rep isn't going away. Rep was made anonymous to stop revenge. If you're getting -rep it's (9 times out of 10) for a good reason. I prefer giving +reps to people over -reps and it's actually an effort to give rep anyway, so I do it rarely.

Edit: On a side note, it seems like at least once a month someone is making a thread complaining about the reputation system.
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Negative Reputations and Anonymous Reps Omniscient 38 8,599 11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Last Post: itmoney22
  How do we use Anonymous posting in the Emo forum? Camgaertner 2 611 07-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Eve
  Anonymous posting for Emotional Support? daneasaur 36 5,056 06-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Elektrisk
  Anonymous Reps Omniscient 19 2,642 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM
  Anonymous rep? alfonzo1955 6 976 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM