Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hard is it to custom build a laptop?
curious as to how hard it is to custom build a laptop...
im kinda on a tight budget and a lot of the retail versions have things ii dont need, etc
thanks
Not really a cheap way of going about it though. Sure building a second hand tower is simple and cheap but lappys get a little more complicated.
Sure changing the ram and even harddrive is not real hard but thats about all you can do. And the parts are often not that cheap.
Removing these parts can depending on the laptop be rather complicated also.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

hmmm yea i realized that after this post...well im on a tight budget of about 450
ive been lookin at the acer aspire one D250 and it looks good for only 300
you think thatll work for downloading/uploading/media and stuff? i dont play computer games
what other laptops/notebooks are good but also cheap?
Yea that will be fine to play with for downloads etc.
I have an Acer Aspire 3000 and do similar with it when i can be bothered starting it up.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

You can pretty much get anything if thats all your doing. HP seem to focus on media with their sound and video etc etc.
Custom building towers is quite easy, but as DAMINK said, laptops are complicated. I think Asus released a laptop that was 100% customizable. I don't know what it's called though.
Building a custom computer can teach you a lot about the hardware of a computer, and when I did mine, about the BIOS of the computer.
This information actually helped me the other day when my HDD burnt out. Without the knowledge I wouldn't have known what to do!
thanks guys.
well i know alot of the laptops/netbooks out there would be fine for what i want it for, but i hate when computers are slow and i like to do lots of things at once.
I agree, the HP netbooks seem more media oriented and they look really nice too, and not too expensive. basically, im trying to get the most for my money.
You may want to go for one of the mainstream brands as well. Yeah, most of the time the support sucks. But at the end of the day the support actually exists, and most of the time you will just end up getting a brand new laptop if your original breaks.
what would you recommend?
HP lol. They have cool designs too.
If you live in countries like mine (Australia) there may be a lot of products available, but the manufacturer doesn't actually have any of their company in the country, just resellers who have imported the product.
EVGA is an example, my motherboard's CMOS threw itself completely out a window once, the support was awesome (really nice bloke) but he was in america and it cost me a bomb to call him. Cost me even more to send the board to america and get it repaired.
You can usually tell if a company is in your country because, for starters, they advertise on TV. They might also sponsor certain sport teams or events. HP can be seen all over the place. Although its not a foolproof way of knowing they're in your country, it is a good indicator.
wow tech support in the US? i live here and all my tech support is overseas somewhere.
i see that like all the netbooks have the intel atom 1.6 ghz processer...is that good? (probably a stupid question since they all have it)