Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving in to a Proprietary Language
Well, I've decided to give into a Proprietary Language, C#, and start learning it. I really hate the fact it's ran by only Microsoft, etc. I do prefer open source things, but, I've received 4 requests to do jobs in C# that are paying a pretty penny for the amount of work it would have involved in C++. Unfortunately, I've missed these contracts because I don't know C#. I don't even know what the language looks like. I'm pretty decent at C++, but would like to learn C# as if I was a beginning programmer (I find it's easier for me to grasp languages that way, and not transfer bad habits over with the new language). So, anyone know some introductory tutorials/lessons/videos?

-I put this here simply because I felt it would be the best place lol, I know it's not C++ ;)
Do you know how to make games? Do you know 3d Modeling? If so then visit
[Image: logo.png]
C# would make more sense in the visual basic/.net section, as it is a .net language.

C# is very similar to java in terms of structure and syntax, so if you've any experience with java, you're good to go.

Here's a pretty good tutorial, that seems as if it starts from scratch, but advances quickly so you won't get too bored. http://www.csharp-station.com/tutorial.aspx

good luck!

p.s. there's always mono, for when you just *need* some linux. Big Grin
As said above, but not only Java, if you know the structure of C++ you won't have problems learning C#.
A nice site I use to look up things for C# is Java2s...
http://java2s.com/Code/CSharp/CatalogCSharp.htm

And my Friends Tongue
http://www.csharpfriends.com/

C# is pretty easy to learn and after day of learning you'll be able to program various "advanced" things, well that's what Visual sutio is there for....
Yeah, I know it's a derivative = language of Java, but, Java is a derivative of C++ so I figured...lol. Thanks guys, I'll get to working a little bit off this now. Well, once MS Visual Studio finishes installing, it's liek a 3 year process it seems like lol. I just put windows 7 on a few days ago and it was a clean install so things are starting over Sad
To give you a example, this was a project I did in C# from scratch, after learning Sharp for not even a week...

It's pretty fast process thing language and you'll soon be able to work on projects...
I've learned C# for about month now and already did 2 payed projects, well payment wasn't big but enough for time spent coding....
That's pretty nice there MotU Big Grin

Edit: I was thining about it, I think this would probably be better in the .net framework section lol, so I reported it to be moved.
Yeah, C#.Net == .Net Framework

It's really easy, and like others have said, if you already know C++, you'll have no problem at all. What I like about Microsoft is that they have everything auto-fill for you while you're making programs.
Yeah, I noticed that while I was dabbling about in MS Visual Sudios lmao.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which language to learn after VB? thanasis2028 32 5,913 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Last Post: norradjer99™