Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else excel in foreign languages?
I speak English and French, my dad is French so I've picked it up from him.
Spanish was my first language, and English was my second. I speak them both fluently since I grew up in the US. Its was English at school and Spanish at home lol.
[Image: tje1.png]
I excel in Spanish, I'm going to try German soon. Is it easy?
I take college level Spanish courses at the moment. I am good with writing and listening with Spanish but speaking it is a different story.
[Image: zbacklash11.png]
Spanish isnt exactly my strong point but i am from Canada and Dutch was my first language but i can also speak a little french.
(04-05-2010, 04:32 PM)Yin Wrote: I excel in Spanish, I'm going to try German soon. Is it easy?

German is one of the more complicate languages if you are not a native
I speak fluent English and I can read and write french but can barley speak it :\
(04-05-2010, 04:32 PM)Yin Wrote: I excel in Spanish, I'm going to try German soon. Is it easy?

German isn't easy per se, like Spanish is, but it isn't hard like Polish or Hungarian would be. I would say it's on the same level as Swedish. Swedish is harder than French, but easier than something like Polish. It's hard to explain if you don't know the difficulties of other languages to compare it to, but let me just say.. the pronunciation should be easy enough, but the grammar might trip you up.
(04-05-2010, 05:14 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: German isn't easy per se, like Spanish is, but it isn't hard like Polish or Hungarian would be. I would say it's on the same level as Swedish. Swedish is harder than French, but easier than something like Polish. It's hard to explain if you don't know the difficulties of other languages to compare it to, but let me just say.. the pronunciation should be easy enough, but the grammar might trip you up.

Is Swedish hard?
(04-05-2010, 05:27 PM)Yin Wrote: Is Swedish hard?
This german chick that lives with me lived in sweden for 6 months and said it isn't a very hard language.
(04-05-2010, 05:27 PM)Yin Wrote: Is Swedish hard?

Honestly, yes. There're a lot of sounds that a native English speaker would be unfamiliar with, like 'y', 'ö', 'ä', 'é', 'sj'/'stj', 'l' (in some dialects), and so on. The grammar can be stupid sometimes.. for example, there're 5 different ways nouns can be pluralized. Compare:
hund(ar) - dog(s)
stjärn(or) - star(s)
hjärta(n) - heart(s)
tjej(er) - girl(s)
hus/hus - house/houses (stays the same)

But, for example, verbs aren't conjugated according to person. IE:
Jag talar - I speak
Du talar - You speak
Vi talar - We speak
Hon talar - She speaks
De talar - They speak

Or:
jag är - I am
hon är - she is
de är - they are

and so on. So, that part is very simple.

(04-05-2010, 05:34 PM)nFekted Wrote: This german chick that lives with me lived in sweden for 6 months and said it isn't a very hard language.

Of course she would say that.. German is her native language.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning Languages mikinsmith 16 1,958 09-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Akihiko