Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux boot problems
Ok, I installed Windows 7 on one partition then installed Linux Mint on another.

Initially it went to the Mint boot loader to select OS but I wanted to use the plain windows one so I used Easy BCD to configure it to use the Windows one. My problem now though is that I now can't boot into Mint, as far as I know BCD is configured correctly but it just says something like there is nothing on the drive to boot when I try and boot to it. This field fairly new to me as in the past I haven't really dual booted so I may be wrong in my description above and its probably really easy to fix....

Any help is appreciated.
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]
Why do you want to use the Windows bootloader in the first place?
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
As far as i know, you have to use the grub one. Also, you do have a swap partition right?
Yep I have a swap partition.

Ok, I don't mind about using grub then, is is possible to set Windows 7 as number 1 on the Grub list though? I just thought it would be possible with the BCD program to have the Windows option boot windows then the Mint option to run grub.

How would I go about restoring grub? I'll just try removing this BCD program first.
Ps. I should also add that Mint is on a separate hard drive, the main partition is hd1,1 and the swap is hd1,2 and Windows is hd0,0.
To restore the GRUB the easiest way really would be to reinstall Linux.

Also, I'm not sure how the new Windows 7 will take to Linux. But, I'm sure you will be fine.

Also, I would recommend a switch to openSUSE. Been using it for awhile, though the installation isn't as user friendly as the Ubuntu faces.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]
(12-06-2009, 05:07 PM)Uhriventis Wrote: To restore the GRUB the easiest way really would be to reinstall Linux.

Also, I'm not sure how the new Windows 7 will take to Linux. But, I'm sure you will be fine.

Also, I would recommend a switch to openSUSE. Been using it for awhile, though the installation isn't as user friendly as the Ubuntu faces.

He is using mint.
(12-06-2009, 05:14 PM)Aristotle Wrote: He is using mint.

Mint is Ubuntu with a prettier face. Look'er up. Besides even that all of them are just Debian.
[Image: Uhriventis.gif]
Clear hard-drive totally.
Install 7
Install Linux

Easiest way to do it.
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
(12-06-2009, 05:21 PM)Uhriventis Wrote: Mint is Ubuntu with a prettier face. Look'er up. Besides even that all of them are just Debian.

I actually believe that Mint uses a modified version of GRUB that is different from Ubuntu, there is a little more than the UI that is changed between Ubuntu and Mint but not that much.

For the record I deleted the Mint partition and reinstalled it and its working fine now.
(12-07-2009, 05:24 AM)iintens Wrote: Clear hard-drive totally.
Install 7
Install Linux

Easiest way to do it.

Ps, thats what I did initially.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Now Using Linux As Boot OS BreShiE 16 2,630 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Grin
  About To Dual Boot. Chief 13 2,374 08-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Kotto*N[ix]mouth