Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Tutorial] Defend against stealers!
Hello.

Today, I'm going to show you how to defend yourself against most stealers. Unfortunately, there is no one program, like KeyScrambler for keyloggers, that can protect you against stealers. However, if there's no data to steal, then stealers pose no risk to you.

Some common things that stealers steal are:

FTP passwords
Firefox passwords
Steam passwords
and more.

A simple solution to avoid being 'stolen' is to just never check the 'Remember my password/Remember me' options in programs.

For Internet browsers, there's even an addon (for Firefox and IE) that can store your passwords & forms SECURELY. The program that I speak of is LastPass. Check it out! It's very simple to use. Also, be sure to disable the built in browser password managers.

An alternative to LastPass for Firefox users is Sxipper.

Simply put, just don't enable 'remember me' features in any program! In addition, it has been claimed that a firewall will, depending on which one you are using, prevent the stealer from accessing the remote server where it sends the details to. It'd actually ask you what you want to do, but hopefully you'd block it! :q Thanks to D3N for this information.

I know this 'tutorial' wasn't that informative, but it'll hopefully prevent someone from losing their e-mail or what have you.

Enjoy.
It addition, your firewall should alert you if a program is about to connect to a remote server, I suggest outpost firewall, it's magic.
(10-05-2009, 11:20 PM)D3N Wrote: It addition, your firewall should alert you if a program is about to connect to a remote server, I suggest outpost firewall, it's magic.

I'll edit that in.
I always thought that Firewalls would do that, but then again, I've never run a stealer server (to my knowledge).
Can't you add a master password to Firefox? Anyway good post.
(10-06-2009, 12:16 AM)Jake Wrote: Can't you add a master password to Firefox? Anyway good post.

I suppose so, but that's never a good idea :p
Yeah, nice tip! I've never had that 'Remember passwords' option set for anything anyway.

But I've just installed Skipper, I'm not re-starting Firefox right away though, but I'll check it out next time it re-starts.

Thanks.
A great guide, short and simple but gets the point across.
[Image: 3326yvl.jpg]

I think in firefox if you use a master-password then the stealer cant access your passwords, please correct me if im wrong. Good post Thumbsup
(10-06-2009, 03:18 AM)SMITHY558 Wrote: I think in firefox if you use a master-password then the stealer cant access your passwords, please correct me if im wrong. Good post Thumbsup

This has been stated.
(10-06-2009, 12:18 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: I suppose so, but that's never a good idea :p

Why would it not be a good idea if it stops stealers?

(10-06-2009, 02:30 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: This has been stated.
Yea just noticed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TuT]How To Prevent Password Stealers SlimDeath 16 3,288 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Last Post: New Jersey
  [Tutorial]Removing Rogue anti viruses (With large list of)[Tutorial] Xypher 6 2,234 10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Apocalypse
  [Tutorial] How to trace an email[Tutorial] Thomas 18 4,841 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Thomas