Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Useful Programs. [Download]
Launchy
and
My Lockbox

1. Launchy:

Basically, an unusually handy program that leaves icons and desktop shortcuts virtually obsolete. Press the shortcut-keys of your choice (alt+space by default) and a small window with a text field appears. Begin typing the name of the program you wish to execute, press enter, and voila! Said program is now running.

2. My Lockbox:

A very useful program with a very simple concept. You give My Lockbox a password, only this password can open it. My Lockbox then creates a "My Lockbox" folder that, along with the folders contents, is invisible unless you are logged into My Lockbox. All files within this folder are now password protected.

Sorry about the odd section placement. Omni said stuff like this could be posted here.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

great thread!

Do they work with win 7?
Google es tu mejor amigo :]
(10-05-2009, 10:21 PM)QBANBOY407 Wrote: great thread!

Do they work with win 7?

Yes.
(10-05-2009, 10:21 PM)QBANBOY407 Wrote: great thread!

Do they work with win 7?

If you looked at the pictures, the first one is on windows 7....
(10-05-2009, 10:45 PM)MyNameIs940 Wrote: If you looked at the pictures, the first one is on windows 7....

To be fair, he could have been using a transformation pack; I've used one before on XP.
Not wishing to say anything bad or anything, but doubleclicking on an icon takes a split second,
whereas pressing alt+space and then having to type something. would take maybe about 5-10 seconds, depending on how long the program name is.

For exmaple - SUPERAntiSpyware.

For me, I find double clicking an icon to be the fastest way, as when I'm in a bit of a rush, I make far too many keyboard typo's.
(10-06-2009, 01:29 AM)AntiVirMan Wrote: Not wishing to say anything bad or anything, but doubleclicking on an icon takes a split second,
whereas pressing alt+space and then having to type something. would take maybe about 5-10 seconds, depending on how long the program name is.

For exmaple - SUPERAntiSpyware.

For me, I find double clicking an icon to be the fastest way, as when I'm in a bit of a rush, I make far too many keyboard typo's.

In this case, you'd probably only have to type "su". The thing is, the less icons you have on your desktop, the quicker your computer will start up. Also, if you are needing to make a quick note of something, you can simply alt+space ~ 'no' ~ enter to bring up notepad, as opposed to going to the start menu and going to accessories blahblah. I realise you can pin programs to the startmenu, but I believe that that should be reserved for programs that do not require installation and therefore are not in the program registry of launchy (although they could badded). I also would have to hate to minimize everything just to get to the desktop. Fortunately, I could just alt+space ~ 'de' ~ enter to get to the desktop ^^
(10-06-2009, 01:49 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: In this case, you'd probably only have to type "su". The thing is, the less icons you have on your desktop, the quicker your computer will start up. Also, if you are needing to make a quick note of something, you can simply alt+space ~ 'no' ~ enter to bring up notepad, as opposed to going to the start menu and going to accessories blahblah. I realise you can pin programs to the startmenu, but I believe that that should be reserved for programs that do not require installation and therefore are not in the program registry of launchy (although they could badded). I also would have to hate to minimize everything just to get to the desktop. Fortunately, I could just alt+space ~ 'de' ~ enter to get to the desktop ^^

Ahh, now that I was not aware of, about typing in abbreviations for different things!

I still can't see that it's quicker than double clicking on an icon though, although I take your point about the more icons on the desktop = slower start up.

But there's no need to minimse everything, if you have a 'Show Desktop' shortcut on your taskbar, also, when you create a shortcut to begin with,
you can just place it directly onto the taskbar and not put it on the desktop and maybe that way, the PC could start up a little faster.
(10-06-2009, 02:22 AM)AntiVirMan Wrote: Ahh, now that I was not aware of, about typing in abbreviations for different things!

I still can't see that it's quicker than double clicking on an icon though, although I take your point about the more icons on the desktop = slower start up.

But there's no need to minimse everything, if you have a 'Show Desktop' shortcut on your taskbar, also, when you create a shortcut to begin with,
you can just place it directly onto the taskbar and not put it on the desktop and maybe that way, the PC could start up a little faster.

I see where you're coming from. Although, I've used Launchy for about four or five months now, and it's as though I can't live without it now. I'm just so dependent on it, and I can handle applications so quickly. I forget what it's like, using icons on the desktop. Let's agree to disagree Big Grin
(10-06-2009, 02:30 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: I see where you're coming from. Although, I've used Launchy for about four or five months now, and it's as though I can't live without it now. I'm just so dependent on it, and I can handle applications so quickly. I forget what it's like, using icons on the desktop. Let's agree to disagree Big Grin

Fair enough, I've never used Launchy, but take your word on that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Free) Anti-Malware programs Bugsy 21 8,405 11-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Last Post: New Jersey
  AntiVirus Security Programs Uninstall Utilities/Tools Bugsy 2 1,430 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Last Post: prince of persia
  Mega Thread :Anitviruses,Firewalls,and other security programs Eagle 5 1,285 05-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Eagle