Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless connection problem [Ubuntu]
Hi!

I've been using Linux ubuntu for a while and installed my Sweex USB wireless network card with windows XP drivers. And It worked good in about 1-2 months till now.. When I start my computer and log on my USB card doesn't connect to my network.

It keep telling me to type in my WEP password and I've got the same since I got my wireless connection at home so there is no risk that I type the wrong key.

so it loops like this all the time.. I press OK, and It tries to connect and then the same thing pops up in my face telling me to type in the key.

So my question is. Is the USB card broke or can I fix this in some way?

/Ireqom
First of all, do not use WEP but use WPA Smile It is harder to hack, thus more secure. So could be someone hacked your WEP key and changed it maybe? Sad

Other than that I do not have a clue.
Do you have the right drivers? Because if not that could be your problem.
Good and Bad you Decide.
SupermanDevlish
Well there is no hackers in my area, I'm pretty sure about that cause it's only old people in my house! Big Grin

conrados1 - Yes I have the correct drivers for my USB card. Because I made a copy of them from my install disk Smile
(11-21-2009, 06:31 PM)Ireqom Wrote: conrados1 - Yes I have the correct drivers for my USB card. Because I made a copy of them from my install disk Smile

You say it used to work ... with XP drivers?

If that is the case then you must of used the ndiswrapper drivers to fool the Windows ones.

Perhaps you inadvertently un-installed ndiswrapper?

To find out, type ...

Code:
ndiswrapper

... on a console and if it isn't there install it.

Either that or try and find the relevant Linux drivers for the card and distro, if they exist, and install those instead ... but it does sound like an ndiswrapper issue to me.
Exactly. If you don't have it, then go to a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper

This should put something in System --> Administration --> Windows Wireless Drivers.

If you go there, you should be able to use it to install a Windows Wifi driver. You would want to copy your Windows Wifi driver folder to your Linux partition and then navigate there with "Windows Wireless Drivers". You'll want to select the .inf file there (if there is more than one, you'll have to try them out until you find the one that works--you may have to restart to test if it doesn't work straight away).

(11-28-2009, 05:22 AM)Spang Wrote: You say it used to work ... with XP drivers?

If that is the case then you must of used the ndiswrapper drivers to fool the Windows ones.

Perhaps you inadvertently un-installed ndiswrapper?

To find out, type ...

Code:
ndiswrapper

... on a console and if it isn't there install it.

Either that or try and find the relevant Linux drivers for the card and distro, if they exist, and install those instead ... but it does sound like an ndiswrapper issue to me.
I have no problems with ndiswrapper at all. Cause I reinstalled my drivers in ndiswrapper a few days ago and it worked. Internet got connected but only for one day. and the next day it was dead again. But when I try this again it won't start.

Maybe I have to reinstall ndiswrapper to make it work again. I'll try that and come back with an update later.

Thx for all replys!
Oh god it's Ireqom again, like...TRH Ireqom?
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
(11-30-2009, 04:02 AM)iintens Wrote: Oh god it's Ireqom again, like...TRH Ireqom?

Yeah it is, Why? Smile

I just uninstalled ndiswrapper.
and now I installed the latest version again but it doesn't show up in the system->administrator anymore...

EDIT: Lol... I just installed the latest version and restarted my computer and didn't have to install anydrivers at all and it works like a charm!

Problem solved! Smile
(11-30-2009, 08:05 AM)Ireqom Wrote: Yeah it is, Why? Smile

CBH, Why do I keep finding you around the internet.
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 7,070 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,683 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Problem with installing ubuntu Test 13 3,172 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Daniel Faraday
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,213 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha