Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[help]- Internet cable is down
Hello members,

We had a big lightning storm yesterday, so i turned off my pc and came back after 30 minutes i turned it on, i've noticed a message in the corner that the internet cable is unplugged. I checked the cable from both ends and it was fine and everything was the same as i left it before the storm.

When i came across the router i found that the internet cable LED was off but every thing else is working on the router device (like powered on, wireless connection). I turned it off and on and reset it but still showing LED off.

However, i still can work on my laptop using wireless connection but the cable (blue one) is still off on the router. Because when you usually plugin the RJ45 it shows you a green light that is connected but now it's really not.

I changed the cable and still have the same thing...

Any tips on this would be much apreciated.. Thanks
So can you use the ethernet cable?

Are you in Australia (We had a big thunderstorm too)?

Try shoving a pin in the tiny little reset hole (in the back) for 10 seconds.

What brand and model is your router?
Unfortunately, i cant use the ethernet cable...and im using Netgear Optus Router.
It seems we are from the same area and yes it was a big thunder storm over the area here and the electricity went off for seconds. But i still cant figure out why isn't there any signal going through the cable!!! could it be some fault or loss in connection in the circuit where you connect the RJ45?

I did reset the modem from the small pin you talking about but no effect.

Thanks for your reply.
Did you end up resolving this issue???
Did you turn your modem / router off during the storm???
No i didn't fix it yet. I didn't turn it off during the storm. I didn't expect it would damage my router.

I am currently using my usb wireless for internet connection. My ethernet card is fine when you check it in Device manager. but the ports on the router are still off and not flashing as expected.

I just got an idea now, im gonna turn my router off for couple of hours, maybe it's still effected by the storm.

It happened to my pc once, it didn't turn on at all and i thought it was damaged completely by the lightning storm, but when i came back the next day i turned it on and it was fine. Probably the same trick would work on my router.
(11-12-2009, 09:54 PM)4u111 Wrote: . . . when you usually plugin the RJ45 it shows you a green light that is connected but now it's really not.

You're talking about the green light on your PC, or on the port on the router?

If it's the one on your PC and you've tried a new network cable, it could be that your network card is dead.

If you've got a spare NIC somewhere or can borrow a friend's, try that.

Also, if there are any other ports free on your router, of course try those.
Actually all ports are down.

My NIC port is dead but my pc shows it's working fine in device manager..
I think i need to buy a new router but for now im using my wireless usb im not going to pay for a new modem.
I am happy with my wireless usb.

Thanx for the reply.
Im confused ur NIC is in your computer so if it is dead thats your problem. Can you connect to the internet trough your router? have you reset your modem? if its your router you probly had a power surge and fried the port or the cble is broken? when your connected wired to the router have you tried pingung your local host?
Evidently his problem is fixed, so whatever. =P
No no not yet, but rarely someone comment on my topic. I did reset my router too many times, the cable just wont work but the wireless is fine.

Im still using wireless connection. And no one gave me a solution for this problem. Actually i was going to buy a new NIC but then i decided to get a new better motherboard (I got it last week). Because i believe my on board NIC is faulty and device manager is not able to discover problems like this so it shows it up as working properly.

So im replacing my board this week or maybe next week and i will tell you the results.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your phone attentuation (or something) affect Cable Internet speed? EMINƎM 2 1,051 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Scalise
  USB CABLE MODEM!! 4u111 5 1,017 12-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Codine