Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scammed by computer technician
OK, if you have a couple of minutes to spare, stay here to read.

I'm not sure if I was stiffed or I'm just doing the math wrong but you guys can give me your insight on the situation, I'd feel much better (depending on the outcome).

My sister's laptop had a problem with it's fan (the laptop was extremely hot) so I called a local technician that was listed on a local classifieds website. His ad said that he offers 'free in-home diagnosis/estimation' for your computer issues. So, I called and he said that I live too far for him to come for free and that if he'd come to my house, the diagnosis would be 20$. But if I bring the laptop to him, he would still do the free diagnosis. I replied by saying that his ad was false advertising since it did not specify that the free in-home diagnosis was limited to a specific region of the city. He then cave and said he would maintain the in-home free diagnosis at my place.

He showed up later tonight and took apart the computer. He showed us that the fan was not working (not spinning). He then removed the fan and blew out a very large amount of dust that was stuck between the fan;s blades which was preventing it from spinning. He then added some thermal paste since it was all dried out from the excess heat (imagine, I had been using a laptop without a working fan!) So far, he had not mentioned anything about prices or being paid.

When I had initially spoken to him on the phone when I asked him to come over, he said that he charges 50$ to replace the fan and add the thermal paste. But since it was just dust and the fan was still functional, I felt bad that he came all the way here to blow out some dust so I was going to give him 20$ nonetheless for his services.

Then he convinced me to upgrade my 2GB of RAM to 3GB for 30$. So I said sure. He added the RAM and I said to myself "OK, I'll give him just the 30$ for all his work. Fair enough." Before he changed my RAM, I had 2 sticks of 1GB each. When he changed it, he just removed 1 stick of !GB and replaced it with a 2GB stick. But he left with my 1GB stick. I didn't realize this until after he left. But before he left, he said I owed him 70$ (30$ for the RAM upgrade and 40$ for what he did with the fan or his labor, I couldn't figure that out). So I wasn't going to start a scene (I payed him). He literally ran for the door and left and I knew something was strange but I didn't realize that he left with my RAM.

I called him and he said he would return it another day as he was late for his next appointment. What's your take?