Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a bit of a networking hardware problem. Help would be great.
I am going to start off by saying I am a little tech savy but when it comes to networking I don't know all that much.

Problem: I have a cable modem downstairs that is connected to a netgear gigabit wireless N router and to our home phone. I happen to live in the complete opposite corner on a different floor than the router so my singal isnt exactly great. It tends to fluctuate without warning, having lows of .5mb/s and highs of 13 mb/s with around an average of 8mb/s. So bottom line is I need a better more reliable signal for my room but I can't move the home phone. It would also be optimal for me to have the router upstairs so I can connect my devices via ethernet cable so I can get 32mb/s. I also already have a cable outlet in my room so the modem could come upstairs if need be.

Possible solutions:
1.) Run an ethernet cable from my modem up through the wall to my room and then connect that to a wireless router.(Not really thrilled with this idea)

2.) Purchase a more expensive router like this one WNDR4500, and still have a non reliable connection but possibly stronger signal.

3.) Purchase a wireless repeater that I will place in my room and then connect all of my wired devices to it.

4.) Purchase a bridge or switch place it in my room and then connect my wired devices to it.

So I ask you networking gurus the pros and cons of those options and what you would recommend for my situation. I apologize for thread being so long but I think it is necessary. Huge thanks goes out to anyone who can help. Blackhat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Networking question] QoS in router, trouble with subnet mask [Solved] prooving 0 916 07-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Last Post: prooving
  Help with a *Unique* networking situation computerguy4783 1 748 02-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Load
  What piece of networking equipment do I need? Beano 20 8,151 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Treblez
  TUTORIAL Networking Windows 7 with XP DAMINK™ 0 1,124 02-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Last Post: DAMINK™