Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COD Modern Warfare 3: Weapon Guides - Barrett .50cal [8/04/2012]
[Image: weaponguidesmainbanner.png]
Greetings once again fans of the Call Of Duty franchise!

This is the second edition of my COD Modern Warefare 3 Weapon Guide series. If you're not familiar with my work, you might not have read the previous guides I posted.
This is a series of Modern Warfare 3 guides aimed at helping the players to get a better understanding of how these weapons fare on the battlefield. They are based on my unbiased thoughts and opinions as an experienced gamer. Some of you might not agree and have differing opinions, but thats cool. Be sure to share your thoughts with us as well.

Also, these guides will now be exclusively posted a few hours in advance on GThreeForums.net than on any other site. Feel free to join up if you like it. Smile
If you would like to check our the rest of the series, as well as some other useful tutorials posted here on SF, check out:
http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=19266
I will be posting these often, so be sure to leave your suggestions for the next weapons guide.
If I miss something, or if I need to correct something, be sure to give appropriate sources along with your feedback.

Note: The following guide is only for Multiplayer. Weapon usage may differ in other game modes.

Today's featured weapons is:
Barrett .50cal
[Image: barrett.png]

Type: Sniper Rifle (Semi-Automatic)
Unlocked at: Level 4
HUD/Pickup Image:
[Image: barretthud.png]
Ammunition: 30 (starting) ~ 60 (maximum)
Magazine size: 10 rounds ~ 15 (Extended Mags)
Reload time (approx.): 3.9 seconds (Partially empty)
4.2 seconds (Completely empty)
Rate Of Fire (ROF): 1200 rpm
Damage: 95 approx

[Image: briefrundown.png]
The Barrett .50cal is the first semi-automatic sniper rifle available to the player and is similar to its Modern Warfare 3 version. However, in MW3 the mobility on the Barrett has been decreased and it seems to be heavier than its predecessors.
The Barrett .50cal is still a formidable gun, boasting a high range of damage and astounding one-hit kill abilities. Its recoil is comparably high to the other guns of its class, but it can be greatly reduced when prone. Similarly, its sway can also be reduced when crouched or prone. The downside of the Barrett is primarily its recoil and reload time, which can be minimized with the help of weapon proficiencies or attachments.

[Image: attachments-2.png]
These are the various attachments available for the weapon. They have been given ratings and side notes depending on their usefulness. Sometimes I tend to copy the ratings for some guns. Thats because most guns of a category aren't really characterized much by their attachments, but at times are.
  • ACOG Scope - Unlocked at weapon level 2.
    [7/10] A good attachment only to the experienced, the ACOG scope can be very useful in close-range encounters, especially with the weapon's one-hit kill capabilities.
  • Silencer - Unlocked at weapon level 5.
    [7/10] A silent sniper is a deadly one. The silencer is the attachment to be used when you're switching to ninja mode. Although the range is decreased, its not too noticeable unless you're aiming from the other side of the map.
  • Heartbeat Sensor - Unlocked at weapon level 13.
    [6/10] Not a bad choice if you need that extra edge on the competition, but it can be distracting. Especially when you don't notice that one guy sneaking off from the corner of the radar.
  • Extended Mags - Unlocked at weapon level 15.
    [8/10] I prefer to use Extended Mags on this gun because of its 10-round mags being insufficient to take out multiple enemies in a fire fight. When the heat is on, you don't want to be the only one there having to have to reload.
  • Thermal Scope - Unlocked at weapon level 19.
    [7/10] Thermal Scopes are for the serious snipers who want the extra-sensory boost to their vision which they wouldn't get from any normal scope. I dislike using it in snowy maps though as I find myself getting a bit distracted while scoping.
  • Variable Zoom - Unlocked at weapon level 22.
    [8/10] One of my preferred attachments when Sniping long-range is the Variable Zoom. The ability to zoom in and out can give rise to a whole new level of gun-play.

[Image: proficiencies.png]
Weapon Proficiencies are special attachments or perks so to speak that can be added to a weapon. They come in a wide range of special characteristics, so we'll have a look of each one and what they have to offer to this class of weaponry. I'll add ratings as well since we're already on a roll here.

• Kick - Unlocked at weapon level 4.
    [6/10] Although it may seem like a good idea, Kick doesn't really do much to help the Barrett with its poor recoil. You'd be better of trying to increase it effectiveness in battle.
  • Impact - Unlocked at weapon level 10.
    [8/10] The amount of time I managed to kill an opponent through something is too damn high. So, adding Impact would be quite beneficial to a sniper rifle.
  • Attachments - Unlocked at weapon level 14.
    [7/10] There aren't really many combination of attachments that can yield a better version of the Barrett, but there are a few which can really be of use. I will be listing a couple of them in the Classes section.
  • Focus - Unlocked at weapon level 18.
    [6/10] Similar to Hardened Pro in Black Ops, Focus can be helpful when you've got a lock on a target, but some one else has their sights set on you or if you're in the middle of a fire-fight.
  • Speed - Unlocked at weapon level 24.
    [8/10] This proficiency is only available for Sniper Rifles, LMGs and the Riot Shield. And for good reason. The Barrett is just as heavy as any of the other Light Machine Guns and adding a speed boost can be really beneficial.
  • Stability - Unlocked at weapon level 28.
    [9/10] Reducing sway by 25 percent, this proficiency is extremely useful for hard-scopers and can be very useful for beginners. Sadly, its the last proficiency to be unlocked.

[Image: perks.png]
Along with the attachments, there are also Perks to consider when choosing the perfect class for this weapon. It all depends on your preference and what you're comfortable. Here are a few of my suggestions:

[Image: Sleight_of_Hand_pro_perk_MW3.png]
Sleight Of Hand
The reload speed of the Barrett .50cal is poor at best. In an equally matched spar, a quicker reload speed would be nothing but helpful.
[Image: Quickdraw_pro_perk_MW3.png]
Quickdraw
The most used perk for Sniper Rifles is usually Quickdraw as it affords greater scoping speeds and is pretty useful for quick-scopers and when in a tight spot.
[Image: Marksman_pro_perk_MW3.png]
Marksman
The perk Marksman makes searching for opponents easier at long distances. The added bonus of Marksman Pro makes holding breath while scoped more efficient and lengthens the time you can spend scoped.

[Image: classes.png]

[Image: BARRETTCLASSES.png]

[Image: fiinalverdict.png]
[8/10]
The Barrett .50 cal is an awesome sniper rifle which is good in pretty much any game modes. When used properly, it can outrank even assault rifles in close range bouts and its semi-automatic capabilities, along with its damage can make it a dangerous foe on the battle field. However, its recoil makes me boo every time.

So that's the Barrett .50cal. I hope you enjoyed this guide and learned a little about this weapon. Hopefully, you appreciate the great amount of time and effort it took to make this guide by leaving a comment below.

Which weapon should we showcase next? Please leave your suggestion below.

Guide compiled by BlackChaos

Fragma loves Barretts.
Brilliant guide yet again. One thing that might make them a little better would be a video of the weapon in action.
Great info though thanks.
(04-09-2012, 01:34 AM)Fragma Wrote: Brilliant guide yet again. One thing that might make them a little better would be a video of the weapon in action.
Great info though thanks.

Thanks mate. I was considering sparking off a series of videos as well showcasing the weapon in-game with different attachments and proficiencies, but thats still a little way off. Smile
o-o hes got pics, this guys legit
OT: nice bro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CoD did you start with? Black Ghost 100 22,143 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Uzi
  Games for the 2012 Cade 16 1,423 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Last Post: iSymplix
  Fifa 13 or CoD Black Ops 2 glitches for xbox 360????????? robgh1 3 1,404 07-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Wonders
  Compilation of Gaming Guides/Tutorials/Reviews [Last Update: 11th May 2012] BlackChaos 31 5,682 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Calcium
  COD Modern Warfare 3: Weapon Guides - SCAR-L [11/05/2012] BlackChaos 0 1,428 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Last Post: BlackChaos