Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COD Modern Warfare 3: Weapon Guides - M4A1 [30/03/2012]
[Image: weaponguidesmainbanner.png]
Greetings once again fans of the Call Of Duty franchise!

This is the first edition of my COD Modern Warfare 3 Weapon Guide series. If you're not familiar with my work, you obviously haven't read the Black Ops guides I used to post before I went on leave. Don't worry though. I'll be continuing that series as well soon after I get this one rolling.
If you would like to check our the rest of the series, as well as some other useful tutorials posted here on SF, check out:
http://www.supportforums.net/showthread.php?tid=19266
This is a series of Modern Warfare 3 guides aimed at helping the players to get a better understanding of how these weapons fare on the battlefield. They are based on my unbiased thoughts and opinions as an experienced gamer. Some of you might not agree and have differing opinions, but thats cool. Be sure to share your thoughts with us as well.

Also, these guides will now be exclusively posted a few days in advance on GThreeForums.net than on any other site.

I will be posting these often, so be sure to leave your suggestions for the next weapons guide.
If I miss something, or if I need to correct something, be sure to give appropriate sources along with your feedback.

Note: The following guide is only for Multiplayer. Weapon usage may differ in other game modes.

Today's featured weapons is:
M4A1
[Image: m4a1.png]

Type: Assault Rifle (Automatic)
Unlocked at: Level 4
HUD/Pickup Image:
[Image: m4a1hud.png]
Ammunition: 90 (starting) ~ 180 (maximum)
Magazine size: 30 rounds ~ 45 (Extended Mags)
Reload time (approx.): 2.0 seconds (Partially empty)
2.36 seconds (Completely empty)
Rate Of Fire (ROF): 780 rpm
Damage: 40-20

[Image: briefrundown.png]
Being one of the first weapons in the arsenal, you really don't expect much from the M4A1. But you'll be in for quite the shocker. The M4A1 is a deadly gun, with medium to low recoil, high damage and great mobility. The reload time on it is extremely fast compared to most of the other guns in its category
Its range is good, but not as effective as it should be at long range. Proficiency-wise, it doesn't benefit from Kick like most guns do, but Range and Attachments would make this gun a much better choice even to the later level guns. I, for one, used this gun up to level 20 or so until I started taking out other guns to start gaining XP.

[Image: attachments-2.png]
These are the various attachments available for the weapon. They have been given ratings and side notes depending on their usefulness. Sometimes I tend to copy the ratings for some guns. Thats because most guns of a category aren't really characterized much by their attachments, but at times are.
  • Red Dot Sight - Unlocked at weapon level 2.
    [9/10] The iron sights on the M4A1 are terrible. A red dot sight or Holographic sight would do wonders for the weapon.
  • Suppressor - Unlocked at weapon level 5.
    [7/10] The gun's performance won't be reduced when you use a silencer on it, but I would suggest using the Attachments proficiency then. You wouldn't want to miss a kill due to lack of accuracy.
  • Grenade Launcher - Unlocked at weapon level 8.
    [4/10] In my opinion, there are other attachments more useful than the Grenade Launcher. Its a waste of time and effort to use it.
  • ACOG Scope - Unlocked at weapon level 11.
    [7/10] The ACOG on this gun can be perfect in the right hands. It makes decreasing that limited long range much more easier.
  • Heartbeat Sensor - Unlocked at weapon level 14.
    [6/10] The HBS on any assault rifle is always a stable option. Although, it gives off that annoying beep and its forever distracting. You're better off using your minimap. That box that shows who's killing you.
  • Holographic Sight - Unlocked at weapon level 17.
    [9/10] Check the comment for the RDS.
  • Shotgun - Unlocked at weapon level 20.
    [2/10] Shotgun on an assault rifles is the most idiotic invention since water-soluable teabag paper.
  • Hybrid Sight - Unlocked at weapon level 23.
    [8/10] Similar idea to the RDS and Holographic, but I find switching it on and off the gun a bother.
  • Extended Mags - Unlocked at weapon level 26.
    [7/10] The ammo per magazine is quite good. Not too small. But the high RoF tends to deplete the clip quite quickly when you're not a picky shooter.
  • Thermal Scope - Unlocked at weapon level 29.
    [6/10] The low recoil makes it quite efficient with the thermal scope but I wouldn't normally go with this attachment unless you really know what you're doing.

[Image: proficiencies.png]
Weapon Proficiencies are special attachments or perks so to speak that can be added to a weapon. They come in a wide range of special characteristics, so we'll have a look of each one and what they have to offer to this class of weaponry. I'll add ratings as well since we're already on a roll here.
  • Kick - Unlocked at weapon level 4.
    [6/10] Due its decent recoil, there's really little need for Kick. It dilutes down the recoil a tad bit more, but all in all isn't as useful as some other proficiencies.
  • Impact - Unlocked at weapon level 9.
    [8/10] In a heavy fire fight, its always good to have the advantage. Impact means there's a higher chance that you can kill you opponent even when shooting through comparably dense objects.
  • Attachments - Unlocked at weapon level 12.
    [9/10] I would recommend this proficiency on the M4A1 as its just made for using attachments. Using this, you can pull off a combo of Red Dot Sight and Suppressor, making you silent, accurate and deadly at medium range.
  • Focus - Unlocked at weapon level 16.
    [6/10] Similar to Hardened Pro in Black Ops, Focus makes its you'll flinch 50% less when shot. This can be useful is situations where you've got a bead on your target and have to take him down, but you're in the midst of a second fire-fight.
  • Breath - Unlocked at weapon level 22.
    [6/10] A nifty new feature to MW3 is this proficiency which enables you to hold your breath while using assault rifles, making it reduce its sway while aiming and giving you marginally better aim. For the M4A1, its not as useful, but can be a great deal more helpful when paired with an infrared scope.
  • Stability - Unlocked at weapon level 28.
    [8/10] Its like Breath, except you don't have to hold your breath to reduce the weapon's sway. Extremely useful in the long range battles.

[Image: perks.png]
Along with the attachments, there are also Perks to consider when choosing the perfect class for this weapon. It all depends on your preference and what you're comfortable. Here are a few of my suggestions:

[Image: Scavenger_pro_perk_MW3.png]
Scavenger
The M4A1 blows bullets like its christmas bonuses. You'll definitely need Scavenger if you're looking to use the gun for a longer duration of time.
[Image: Hardline_pro_perk_MW3.png]
Hardline
I tend to get really aggressive with this gun, as you might notice from my preferred class options. So Hardline really helps rake in assault killstreaks as I go along.
[Image: Stalker_pro_perk_MW3.png]
Stalker
Again a by-product of my fast-paced nature, Stalker greatly increased mobility and its pro version gives you ample amount of time to run from Claymores, Betties and IMSs.

[Image: classes.png]

[Image: M4A1_CLASSES.png]

[Image: fiinalverdict.png]
[7/10]
Its just an overall fun weapon to use. I've even used it long after I had unlocked better weapons. Just goes to show that nothing beats a classic.

So that's the M4A1. I hope you enjoyed this guide and learned a little about this weapon. Hopefully, you appreciate the great amount of time and effort it took to make this guide by leaving a comment below.

Which weapon should we showcase next? Please leave your suggestion below.

Guide compiled by BlackChaos

Woah... That's one hell of a guide.
Could you do the Barrette next?

Amazing stuff though mate that's quality.
Thanks a lot Fragma!
I've been working on getting back to making these guides for quite some time now and I'm glad with the response so far. Smile
I'll definitely be doing either the Barret .50 cal or an SMG in the next one.
I'd like to see one on the MP7, I love it! Oh, and maybe the AK47.
(03-30-2012, 05:09 PM)BreShiE Wrote: I'd like to see one on the MP7, I love it! Oh, and maybe the AK47.

Sigh, the AK47. How I wish it was as good in MW3 as it was in MW2. Smile
Infinity Ward definitely tuned it down a slight bit, but its still a force to be reckoned with.
Thanks for the terrific suggestions BreShiE. I'll keep them in mind.
So, the next guide will be on the Barrett .50cal sniper rifle. I am planning on introducing a special segment where I add the opinions and reviews of the gaming community towards the gun which is being showcased. If you would like to see your review on the Barrett .50cal added to the next guide, please post below or send me a PM. Please note that it should be of reasonable length and quality, not just one word sentences containing obscenities.
Very nice my dude put some work into this
this is my fav weapon on css but on cod its a disaster D:
thanks for this

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CoD did you start with? Black Ghost 100 21,866 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Uzi
  Games for the 2012 Cade 16 1,357 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Last Post: iSymplix
  Fifa 13 or CoD Black Ops 2 glitches for xbox 360????????? robgh1 3 1,384 07-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Wonders
  Compilation of Gaming Guides/Tutorials/Reviews [Last Update: 11th May 2012] BlackChaos 31 5,638 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Calcium
  COD Modern Warfare 3: Weapon Guides - SCAR-L [11/05/2012] BlackChaos 0 1,421 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Last Post: BlackChaos