Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I switch to XP?
People judge Vista as being slow based on it's file transfer rate, which was completely revamped into the versions of NT for Windows 7, and from XP was a new system merging into Vista not yet perfected on that behalf. Windows 7 just picked up where Vista left off in that sector as far as i'm concerned, but other than that, Vista isn't a bad machine. And Benchmark tests can still decently compete with both Windows 7 and XP.

People see one thing like that and think the whole system is fudged though. Which is where the misconception plays in. Now MS is working on a new protogon filesystem based on the filesystem's header files that i've taken a look at yet now renamed to ReFileSystem from the regular NTFS we're all familiar with, although not yet being used as far as what I see and other reports go. Perhaps something big and planned for at least Windows 9 if they do not rush Windows 8 but I doubt that because they loose their marketing if they prolong it another year.

First FAT -> NTFS -> although I do NOT suspect this protogon filesystem to be used or complete by the official release of Windows 8, unless it becomes another Vista while they work on the perfections for Windows 9. (Which IS... My best guess at this point).
You cant say vista is any good Ace.
It simply isnt. Used to many resources and was able to bloat easily.
Sure its great on a fresh in stall. But after a few months of running the problems begin.

As for the drivers issue related to this topic.
You could search your old file system specifically your system32 folder to see if your drivers are there.
Windows will normally detect the correct one there.
I would assume its quite a generic lan one anyway.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

I can say Vista is good, or at least decent. Benchmarking tests are highly reliable. Superman

Quote:Used to many resources and was able to bloat easily.

What do you mean by too many resources though?

It depends what kind of things you had on your machine because it's fact that it's actually not too much more than Windows 7. Your perception of Resources in terms of CPU and RAM hoggers, most likely due to hangs locking up specific tasks and extending the CPU cycles if your judging this on performance... But the amount of resources physically isn't very much different.

Quote:Sure its great on a fresh in stall. But after a few months of running the problems begin.

Although the machine is fine, as mentioned though it's mostly on the user for that. 70% of computer users have no clue what they're doing, the other 15-20% are okay, and the remaining have a good idea of how to properly use their PC.

I've seen and compared the source code and there truthfully is not much different other than possibly inefficiencies that slow things down, but as per resources there's almost a direct comparison.

Damink lol trust me, I used to be like you. Thought Vista was junk, but it's definitely not as bad as people think, and especially as bad as I used to think.

OP:
Quote:I heard that XP is smaller size so it might help

Size doesn't have much to do with it unless you're lacking the capacity on your hard drive, which can cause issues, but not necessarily with the speed or performance you see while gaming. XP runs sligthly different, and it's a stable version/release of what setup they had in those older days, Vista is a bit less stable because MS seems to always release every 2nd version as far as i'm concerned as a finished product of the previous official Windows OS. Vista is fine Benchmark-wise for gaming, and compares up there with Windows 7. The only downside with Vista is that if you leave programs open in the background while running your game, if your CPU spikes to a certain percentage at a critical point in time where it locks a currently executing task (sent to the kernel as an instruction just like all do), then that freezing will be linked to the performance of the process for your game executable. With other OS's this is unavoidable anyways, but the way Vista is designed, it's recovery from things like this is weak. But I can't say you'll notice much difference between XP or Vista if you don't consider the fact that running a fresh install of XP is obviously going to be a bit better.

As for the drivers for your networking device, I wouldn't copy them over personally. You may have luck, but it's always better to get them from the manufacturer's website, you never know if there's a newer version of that driver either than the one you previously had.
Honestly, i dont like vista, i've heard too many bad stories.
[Image: siggy.png]
www.4Y4T3M-L4BS.tk
Ok well I went into device manager and I clicked the option for the files to be searched through the system32 file and then it says it couldn't find the driver. What now?
I have another idea.

Does anyone know to boot from another partition? Is it even possible?
I have an aspire t180. I think these are the drivers.
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

These are the drivers that have the yellow question mark:

Audio device on high definition audio bus
Ethernet controller
Pci modem
Sm bus controller
video controller(VGA compatible)
Ok thanks to anyone who tried to help. I got hold of a computer and got the drivers downloaded and everything seems fine.
(04-07-2012, 07:06 AM)skorch Wrote: Ok well I went into device manager and I clicked the option for the files to be searched through the system32 file and then it says it couldn't find the driver. What now?

System32 is not a file, and there's a folder for all of your drivers in this location that you need to go to.

(04-07-2012, 11:10 AM)skorch Wrote: I have another idea.

Does anyone know to boot from another partition? Is it even possible?

Yes, this is called dual booting, but it requires that you have enough space on your one hard drive to do this.

(04-07-2012, 02:59 PM)skorch Wrote: Ok thanks to anyone who tried to help. I got hold of a computer and got the drivers downloaded and everything seems fine.

Good to hear then Smile
(03-29-2012, 12:40 PM)Kewlz Wrote: Actually this is true, my games were running faster on Xp than my current windows7.
I still prefer Xp over 7 for many reasons.

XP is great but I got used to 7.I really like the aero theme.
[Image: 3dtextven0mhf.png]