Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I switch to XP?
Windows 7 is a very good operating system based on layout,features & flexibility,
Windows XP SP3 is a really good operating system in regards to drivers,stability &
user-flexibility.
Thanks for the great tips guys.

I have win xp sp3 on a virtual machine at the moment. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to keep all my information after I transfer to xp.
No worries, always happy to help.

You can put all your information on a USB or hard-drive and save it there,
when you install and setup the system, you just simply drag it all to where
it was on your previous system.
I only have blank CD's.

I'm not sure if I should just pick out my important files or backup everything including the OS.
Depends how far you want to go really.
If you just want your pics and docs sort of stuff saved then yea dump them onto a disk and your fine.

If its just bookmarks and email stuff then you can do that from within the programs ie firefox and thunderbird etc.

If its the programs you have installed then you will need to mirror your install or do a backup using the backup utility.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422 (this will backup everything)

This is why i ALWAYS have a partition aside on my harddisk to allow for storing and backing up.
If your going to format your harddisk then i suggest you do this.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Just switch to windows 7 my dude
My suggestion is that you just backup the files that are most necessary and
not the entire operating system, also make sure to pre-download any/all drivers
before you install the operating system for convenience.
Well I just installed it on one of the three partitions that showed up. Now I can't connect to the internet. It doesn't detect my modem.
I think it is because I'm missing the drivers. I Didn't install over the main partition so it looks like I have a lot of my old files, maybe it is in there somewhere.

Sorry 4y4t3m, I forgot to backup the drivers, looks like I'm screwed.
Not necessarily, post the details of your modem or brand of the computer and i can
locate the correct drivers for you!