Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow members to junk/close/delete own threads & posts.
I'm on the forum a lot and sometimes there's a post or thread I don't really like or that I regret. I'm always reporting the post and asking Sam to just delete it.
I was wondering if it would be in the question to allow members who have reached a certain post count (100~150?) to be able to delete their own posts, junk their threads and close them.
This could make forum cleanup a little easier on Sam and Omni, and it could put a little more power into people's hands.
Note: this is not an upgrade in any fashion. It would be a privilege granted to every user when they meet X amount of posts.
Thoughts?
[Image: QRCjW2pNdRK00.gif]
#Korra2018
I agree with this to be honest, It's quite annoying having to report my own post saying "OP Close Request" each time. xD
This would be a really useful feature. Not only would it be a nice privilege, it would be an incentive for users to get the X amount of posts needed.
Junking own threads - No.
Closing own threads - Possibly yes, however I'd say after 500 posts.
Delete own posts - No. You can just edit posts rather than deleting them.

It's down to a moderator to decide whether it's best to junk a thread or not. Although you may not want the thread to be shown any more, other members may still find it useful, so junking it wouldn't be fair.
I would agree with Fragma on this one. If you pay attention to what you post then there's no real difficulty that would force you to want to delete anything, you can just edit the parts you don't like. I've never felt the need to remove anything other than a spam thread or spam post by a spammer on a forum, but as far as my own posts and threads, never.

Closing would be useful though, especially for solved threads on specific member issues.
This will probably be saved for when they start upgrades.
I never allow this on my forum simply because it can be abused.
Lets say for example i get in a fight with Omni and get drunk one night and delete all my threads?
This can happen. And will happen i suspect. Closing threads i would suspect is acceptable though.

Also.....

Why delete threads anyway.
I have posted some really stupid ones here that i shake my head at but keeping them here is a good thing.
Reminds me not to get to drunk when posting here Yeye
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(02-10-2012, 02:31 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: I never allow this on my forum simply because it can be abused.
Lets say for example i get in a fight with Omni and get drunk one night and delete all my threads?
This can happen. And will happen i suspect. Closing threads i would suspect is acceptable though.

Also.....

Why delete threads anyway.
I have posted some really stupid ones here that i shake my head at but keeping them here is a good thing.
Reminds me not to get to drunk when posting here Yeye

In my opinion that doesn't really matter though. You can get drunk and start spamming threads which is just as probable in my eyes. Let them abuse it if they want, I don't see it as a big problem, you don't have the ability to delete others threads. And who knows, a staff member or the admin himself could be just as likely to get drunk and start deleting threads, does that mean they should restrict themselves from having the kind of power that they do though? Huh

It is more dangerous than a user being able to only delete their own threads or posts if you put it into perspective. But since you're analyzing it that way you also have to take a look at the bigger picture here.

However, for the topic of deleting threads or even posts for that matter, I would agree with you though.
Admins powers versus user powers are completely different.
My analogy was simply that. A way of showing how the system could fall down.
Sure i could just spam the place drunk i understand. But thats not the topic. Its about deleting threads.
There are threads here made by many of us that have many many replies to them.
Imagine the post count lost if for example i was to remove all my threads or you were?
Imagine your account was hacked for example and someone decided to be a bastard and remove all your threads.
Dunno just to many ways this could be abused and a power i dont think any user level member should ever have on any forum IMHO.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

Quote:Admins powers versus user powers are completely different.

They are, but when you point to the reason being that users shouldn't have the power to delete posts/threads because... And then state that they could delete everything, I don't see why they are so different based on your analogy, it remains that they are still simply just a permission to do something on the forum. Admins powers are different than users powers, but the person behind Admin/Mod/User titles doesn't really differ that much. Everybody is still human.

Quote:There are threads here made by many of us that have many many replies to them.
Imagine the post count lost if for example i was to remove all my threads or you were?

Okay, but based on your analogy I don't see the difference between that event happening from the abilities of a User, Mod, or Admin. And even especially when taking into account being drunk.

Quote:Imagine your account was hacked for example and someone decided to be a bastard and remove all your threads.

Who's fault is it that the account got hacked most likely though? Smile

And why couldn't that happen to an Admin or Staff member? It has no real bearing on whether or not users should be allowed to have those permissions when you think of things in that regard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Add: View My Threads Eternal. 11 2,679 10-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Autopost
  Regarding posting on old threads D3xus 10 1,716 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Frostix
  Junk sh1eld 7 1,628 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Last Post: unusedunsued22
  Sorry for 2 thread but u can delete after we will solve ? WhiteLine 6 1,126 04-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Kewlz
  Threads don't count as posts? au3 0 614 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Last Post: au3