Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Ideas? Suggestions?
I'm running out of ideas, I have been running out of ideas for a while. So if anyone has something cool they would like me to make I might consider. Try to suggest useful programs, and not just "for fun" ones as I do that daily anyway. I want something that I can use, and hopefully share with the community, so make sure that it's something good.
Well often when I am bored I refer back to this: http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/...deas-list/
It has a lot of ideas that are useful to a certain point. Some of them are more "fun", but a lot of them are pretty useful.
School's starting back. I'm going to be going crazy organising myself for sports and schooling, along with my chosen hobby for this year (programming). If you can create anything to make my life easier, that would be good. Some sort of organiser maybe? Time management system maybe? Or some sort of 'emergency port closing tool' - something you can use to immediately shut down ports when you believe you're being attacked (backdoor, rootkit, trojan).
When you get more into it, I have a few good tools for a few things actually. But it depends on what languages you're looking for, and what's available to those languages. I have done most of the common languages out there though. And the only thing that keeps me knowledgeable with each is that each gets regularly used by me, which is good for me.

Time management system? I have a notification system for a program, but only keeps track of one event at a time. There are system events already available to you for windows that most people neglect with built in Task Scheduler

emergency port closing tool? What would you need that for?

There are ports on your computer that you can't close, and if you think you're being attacked, just open up your device manager and disable your network adapters making sure you don't use the uninstall option if you're in a hurry.
(01-22-2012, 06:15 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Time management system? I have a notification system for a program, but only keeps track of one event at a time. There are system events already available to you for windows that most people neglect with built in Task Scheduler

emergency port closing tool? What would you need that for?

There are ports on your computer that you can't close, and if you think you're being attacked, just open up your device manager and disable your network adapters making sure you don't use the uninstall option if you're in a hurry.

By time management, I meant a large suite containing things like a calander, daily schedule, etc.

Make something to automatically open the device manager and disable your network adapters. Something to keep track of opened ports. Maybe a way of ensuring only the very necessary ports are opened when running certain applications.

Example, if not using the web (browser), close various web associated ports.

A couple times I've seen my webcam come on spontaneously and I've realised that I had been infected (most likely by a RAT). It's for these emergency situations something like this would be useful.
There's already advanced tools out there that can keep track of your computer's open ports that have been in development for far longer than what it would be if I developed a similar program. Smile

I'm sure there's better alternatives already directly available to you for what you might want to do as well.

Time management program seems nice, and wouldn't be too hard to create quite personally. I bet you could make one within the first couple weeks of programming if you stuck with it.
It's hard to recommend something because almost everything that will be suggested will already have been done in some capacity. I don't know anything about you because I haven't been active whatsoever on these forums, but perhaps you should delve into some form of game development. Maybe have a look at the UDK, it should grab your interest for a while and would be suitable considering you apparent C++ background, it's an incredibly intuitive development kit if you get into it. Other than than I don't know what to suggest, I'm more of a web developer myself.
Just because it's already been done doesnt mean you can't do it.
(01-22-2012, 06:47 PM)King Wrote: Just because it's already been done doesnt mean you can't do it.

No, but i've already done a pretty huge percentage of what's been suggested to me by most other people. That list that RDCA given me, I checked through the list, and about 80-90% of all the projects on that page with the exception of the games, has already been done in some way by me. Based on that link to, I would neglect some projects as even though I haven't done them I know how to do them, and knowing that, I could imagine they would only take me 2 minutes to make. Like the PI calculator to a certain decimal value.

(01-22-2012, 06:44 PM)Holy Wrote: It's hard to recommend something because almost everything that will be suggested will already have been done in some capacity. I don't know anything about you because I haven't been active whatsoever on these forums, but perhaps you should delve into some form of game development. Maybe have a look at the UDK, it should grab your interest for a while and would be suitable considering you apparent C++ background, it's an incredibly intuitive development kit if you get into it. Other than than I don't know what to suggest, I'm more of a web developer myself.

Game development is something that would be cool, but never really interested me. I find myself swaying away from it because if i'm not devoted to it, I probably won't get very far. I've tried a few API's and currently trying to learn about Direct2D. I know there's OpenGL, but if you're a big game programmer, you'll probably not end up using OpenGL anyway, as it's not used for the bigger games.

Finding a NEW project, is always my biggest struggle, and even more so than actually developing the program.
Quote:Just because it's already been done doesnt mean you can't do it.

Of course not, but if AceInfinity is intending to develop something to potentially share with the community, therefore creating something that has already been done is somewhat redundant, unless of course he can do a better job.