Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C for Linux
I am studying C.

My book does not have the same explanation for Linux OS as I guess a Windows compiler.

So how can I get the same benefit from the book using Linux as if I had the same program the book is using to teach?

Or have you any ideas SF of a better C programming ebook specifically for Linux?

Example would be the book says:

Code:
cc hello.c

and this will produce:
Code:
a.out

And then it goes on to show this will produce the results

"Hello world"

But this doesnt happen at all

For Linux I have to type:
Code:
cc -c first.c
Code:
cc -o first first.c
Code:
./first

And thats after I write the code in the compiler and thats how I run the same thing... It would appear so anyways.
Certified Counselor
'*> PM here <*'
(01-03-2012, 01:03 PM)iDiDiT Wrote: I am studying C.

My book does not have the same explanation for Linux OS as I guess a Windows compiler.

So how can I get the same benefit from the book using Linux as if I had the same program the book is using to teach?

Or have you any ideas SF of a better C programming ebook specifically for Linux?

Example would be the book says:

Code:
cc hello.c

and this will produce:
Code:
a.out

And then it goes on to show this will produce the results

"Hello world"

But this doesnt happen at all

For Linux I have to type:
Code:
cc -c first.c
Code:
cc -o first first.c
Code:
./first

And thats after I write the code in the compiler and thats how I run the same thing... It would appear so anyways.

Are you looking to develop for Windows or Linux? Which are you wanting to learn specifically? Languages have option to work with more than just a Windows system, but that doesn't mean the code and setup will be the same.
Well it would definitely be my own PC so Linux. Its probably good to know both though, but I do not have a Windows set up. Only a virtual machine, which has no more space on the hardrive currently.

I did a search for C programming in Linux and got a couple 20-80 page explanations. Nothing like my other 500 page books though, so Im looking for that.
Certified Counselor
'*> PM here <*'
It's useful to know both, but most of the time it's just better to be familiar with one before moving to the next. If you wanted to develop for Windows I was going to suggest installing the compiler on that Virtual Machine and learn from there. But for Linux, I would probably just tell you to stick with that then if you're just learning.

Quote:I did a search for C programming in Linux and got a couple 20-80 page explanations. Nothing like my other 500 page books though, so Im looking for that.

What is "that" which you're referring to? The 500 books you have (on Windows C programming I assume?) or more Linux based C Programming books?
I am interested in coding C++.

It has mostly the same Syntax as Java.
(01-05-2012, 10:56 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: What is "that" which you're referring to? The 500 books you have (on Windows C programming I assume?) or more Linux based C Programming books?

Exactly right. Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this. I am looking for more books like my other C programming book which I think is just called "C the Programming Language", but this does not break down the individual commands for the way it is used in Linux. I did however find a shorter description for intro to Programming C in Linux, but this is more like a Hello World intro article. Probably a good start, but I would assume there is a better manual, maybe just with a more indirect name I have not turned up in my searches yet?
Certified Counselor
'*> PM here <*'
Here: www.educationjelly.com/downloads/.../c-programming-in-linux.pdf

That should be a start for you.
What is that you want me to add my email to this site?
Certified Counselor
'*> PM here <*'
(01-07-2012, 02:26 AM)iDiDiT Wrote: What is that you want me to add my email to this site?

It's a direct download to a pdf, that you can open or save. I'm not exactly sure where you're going for anything to do with an email though... Huh

Edit: Wow are you serious? what the hell happened to the site? They must have put it down for maintenance or something with it in that short amount of time since my reply...

I was able to click it and get a PDF with tons of great information earlier. Now I get that page? What a waste of time, I finally found something that was decent and it got removed from the site or something.

Update: Ahh... I see. Go to google by following my link I had when I found it here:
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&cp=70&gs_id=...0&bih=1050

Download from the first link that has the title C Programming In Linux.pdf
LOL, hmmm...well, I was thinking the same, and thought it was a strange link so I just input a 'string of letters' "@yahoo.com". Anyways now I have 2 versions of that book in green, which I already had 2 versions in orange. ;D What is the color difference? Who knows. I am just going to start taking a UNIX course next week in college anyways so hopefully this topic will be covered x)

(01-07-2012, 05:19 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: It's a direct download to a pdf, that you can open or save. I'm not exactly sure where you're going for anything to do with an email though... Huh

Edit: Wow are you serious? what the hell happened to the site? They must have put it down for maintenance or something with it in that short amount of time since my reply...

I was able to click it and get a PDF with tons of great information earlier. Now I get that page? What a waste of time, I finally found something that was decent and it got removed from the site or something.

Update: Ahh... I see. Go to google by following my link I had when I found it here:
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&cp=70&gs_id=...0&bih=1050

Download from the first link that has the title C Programming In Linux.pdf
Certified Counselor
'*> PM here <*'