Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu/ BT installation
Hey guys.

So BackTrack is A Ubuntu "version".

if i want to inssstall it to my Harddrive with windows7 is it dangerous?

so let me spicify this:

i had win7, then i got archlinux.
i made thos partitions you need etc during the instalation, when i was finished, my acer erecovery said i have to reset my PC. i didd that a few times, but just when i deleted arch it worked again.

i think it was because of GRUB.

so if i install ubuntu/Arch will i face the same problem? Huh
(11-21-2011, 03:23 PM)robdalabob Wrote: Hey guys.

so let me spicify this:

i made thos partitions you need etc during the instalation, when i was finished, my acer erecovery said i have to reset my PC. i didd that a few times, but just when i deleted arch it worked again.

BackTrack isn't a 'Ubuntu Version'. BackTrack is a Linux distribution, just like Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.

You can safely Dualboot Windows 7 and BackTrack. Just be sure that you make a new partition and that you don't install it over your Windows 7 partition (You can make partitions in the installer).

Just follow this: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/inde...d_Windows7

Ohyeah, in case you didn't know. It's not necessary to install BackTrack, you can run it from a Live CD.

Shattering -

------------------------
Add me on msn. I Would love to meet you.
tmpbbbb@hotmail.com
-------------------------
(01-11-2012, 04:14 AM)Shattering - Wrote: BackTrack isn't a 'Ubuntu Version'. BackTrack is a Linux distribution, just like Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.

You can safely Dualboot Windows 7 and BackTrack. Just be sure that you make a new partition and that you don't install it over your Windows 7 partition (You can make partitions in the installer).

Just follow this: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/inde...d_Windows7

Ohyeah, in case you didn't know. It's not necessary to install BackTrack, you can run it from a Live CD.

Shattering -

I'll finish your sentence here:
Quote:BackTrack isn't a 'Ubuntu Version'. BackTrack is a Linux distribution

"derived from Ubuntu"

Therefore technically it is an Ubuntu "version," but this thread is old.

And I had a video on how to shrink your hard drive to make another partition to dual boot another Operating system or something like Linux, but it got removed today because Google decided to delete my Youtube account for no reason... Smile So I apologize, but i'm not in the best mood right now. I just lost 50+ videos.
Oh, didn't know that. I've learned something! Thank you.

I Hope you can get your account back in someway...
------------------------
tmpbbbb@hotmail.com
(01-11-2012, 05:10 AM)Shattering - Wrote: Oh, didn't know that. I've learned something! Thank you.

I Hope you can get your account back in someway...

Actually lots of Linux versions were derived from Ubuntu, only from different developers, so I still wouldn't call Ubuntu the best for that reason, because it definitely isn't lol. I'm not much of a Linux person but I was into it for a while, and i've spoken to people who use it as their only system that they boot into, and they aren't using Ubuntu lol. I've heard Arch, and Mint being thrown around, and I would say they are some of the best. But there's others out there like Fedora that are okay as well. I haven't tried all of them to say which IS the best, but I do know that Linux Mint is great for beginners, Arch is good too, but more advanced. Never tried any others except BackTrack though.
I'm also using Ubuntu. I Don't know why.. I think because the 'community' is the greatest for Ubuntu. And it looks pretty slick.
I've got it in a dualboot with BackTrack.

I Love Linux.
------------------------
tmpbbbb@hotmail.com
(01-11-2012, 05:25 AM)Shattering - Wrote: I'm also using Ubuntu. I Don't know why.. I think because the 'community' is the greatest for Ubuntu. And it looks pretty slick.
I've got it in a dualboot with BackTrack.

I Love Linux.

Yeah, that's the only real good thing about Ubuntu is that it's popular therefore the support is better.

(11-21-2011, 03:23 PM)robdalabob Wrote: Hey guys.

so let me spicify this:

It's not dangerous, but to install it alongside Windows:

First we want to create some space for a Partition to store Linux onto:
1) Open start menu, Type in "Computer Management"
2) Click on the start menu item
3) In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management
4) In here you'll see a visual of your hard drive allocations, right click on your main one, and select Shrink Volume
Note: Don't do anything with System Reserved, that's a required partition for Windows.

5) Allocate the amount of space needed for your Backtrack partition to install backtrack on in MB/MegaBytes (Important)
6) Choose to shrink volume

You should end up with unallocated space now, so that you can later on create the partition to install Ubuntu on, when you go to install it.

Of course for this you want to make sure that your hard drive is big enough to support the required space for Backtrack, and Windows.

Now boot up Ubuntu, and install, when prompted for where to install, install the the newly created allocation that you took from your main hard drive, and format it into a Linux paritition for Ubuntu to be installed on (ext4).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Ubuntu 11.04 >>Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 aminmusa 15 6,991 04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: aminmusa
  [ubuntu v=9.10]Apache2 errors[/ubuntu] jfmherokiller 10 3,629 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: haphazard
  Tutorial: Installing Ubuntu/Basics of Ubuntu Canoris 16 9,153 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Natha
  Ubuntu Installation Troubles. Legend 12 3,034 10-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Gone