Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First ever PC owned
Mine was some old computer running windows 95, i was about 4 or 5 at the time so i don't really remember it. Then we got rid of it and we didn't get another computer till about 01' or 02', which was a Dell Dimension running WinXP which i still use today.
(11-06-2009, 07:26 AM)Master of The Universe Wrote: Ohh man you really got to love the good ol' times, where a word like Peta Byte was a Sci-Fi tought.
I'm so sad becuase I never got my hands on one Amiga box, and the loading times of games and applications were like in Heaven.... There was noting much to load but still there was many functions.

I've played Pirates this week on C128 and hell I love that game.

AH yes, but I only got that Amiga, to be honest for one main music program, called Music X, which was a similar sort of thing to Cubase I suppose, and IT cost quite a lot at the time.
I can't remember exactly how much it was, but it must have been hundreds of dollars or more.

Apart from that, I had a main 3D graphics application, which I forget the name, but did have some games as well, although I can't recall which ones.

But I think that there was one called Mercenary, if that was for the Amiga,
quite a simple looking vector graphics, line based thing.

Llamatron, now was that for the Amiga or the PC?

Good days though.
(11-09-2009, 06:28 AM)Guerreiro Wrote: Cubase on floppy, wow. Who here remembers the ZIP drive?

Yeah, and even on a floppy, quite a large application with many functions.

Heh, if you recall the Zip drive, by Iomega, maybe you also recall 'The Click of Death'...;)

I had that happen to me once, the drive just clicked and then died.
It was R.I.P not Z.I.P...;)

I called up Iomega though, and even though my Zip drive was over a year old, and had gone past the warranty date,
they still sent me a new one and didn't even ask me to send the broken one back at all!

I wonder if that would happen with certain hardware applications nowadays?

I doubt that somehow, but you never know.

Oh yeah, eventually, the replacement ZIP drive, also clicked and then died.

That's when I decided to get a CD writer....;)
[Image: SF1d.gif]

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
------------------------------------------------------------------
My first pc is dell with 4 GB HDD,128 MB RAM,no graphic card,and processor intel pentium II (300MHz)
[Image: awilfmasig.png]

Welcome back, awil. You last visited: 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Current time: 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM
(11-11-2009, 05:16 AM)UID=0 Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 06:28 AM)Guerreiro Wrote: Cubase on floppy, wow. Who here remembers the ZIP drive?

Yeah, and even on a floppy, quite a large application with many functions.

Heh, if you recall the Zip drive, by Iomega, maybe you also recall 'The Click of Death'...;)

I had that happen to me once, the drive just clicked and then died.
It was R.I.P not Z.I.P...;)

I called up Iomega though, and even though my Zip drive was over a year old, and had gone past the warranty date,
they still sent me a new one and didn't even ask me to send the broken one back at all!

I wonder if that would happen with certain hardware applications nowadays?

I doubt that somehow, but you never know.

Oh yeah, eventually, the replacement ZIP drive, also clicked and then died.

That's when I decided to get a CD writer....;)

I remembered that but it, thank god, never happened to me. Big Grin Even further back were the real floppies, the B: drive. Big Grin I had a few with things like, Felix the Cat and Popcorn on there. Big Grin Sweet memories and days. aaah Glory days.

I also remember the day when they announced the CD-ROM. The incredible amount of storage and how expensive it was back then. ;)

Quote:My first pc is dell with 4 GB HDD,128 MB RAM,no graphic card,and processor intel pentium II (300MHz)

No graphical card, but that means no screen... . Sad
(11-13-2009, 09:10 AM)Guerreiro Wrote: I remembered that but it, thank god, never happened to me. Big Grin Even further back were the real floppies, the B: drive. Big Grin I had a few with things like, Felix the Cat and Popcorn on there. Big Grin Sweet memories and days. aaah Glory days.

I also remember the day when they announced the CD-ROM. The incredible amount of storage and how expensive it was back then. ;)

If you mean those large sort of square, bendy floppy's, I only ever had one of those I think, but never had a PC with a drive for those.
I have also never had a B drive either.

The program on the bendy floppy was called XTree, DOS based for file management,
which I do still have a version of now.

I don't exactly remember when CD writers were first announced , but like anything else when they first come out, they are always usually quite expensive.

As far as I remember My First Pc specifications-

A celeron processor
256 mb ram
40 gb hard disc
etc etc..

Pretty low..but thats what I got at the age of 5.
My first computer was a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop!
First PC: P4 HT 3GHz, Radeon 9600 XT AGP, Pinnacle 110i tv card :o, CRT screen, That was it i think, i cant remember it completely, my memory sucks.
(11-13-2009, 10:16 PM)UID=0 Wrote: If you mean those large sort of square, bendy floppy's, I only ever had one of those I think, but never had a PC with a drive for those.
I have also never had a B drive either.

The program on the bendy floppy was called XTree, DOS based for file management,
which I do still have a version of now.

I don't exactly remember when CD writers were first announced , but like anything else when they first come out, they are always usually quite expensive.

Definitely those Big Bendy Black Disks. Big Grin Those were originally called floppies. As you can imagine. Smile The A: drive was reserved for diskettes. Which I think comes from small disk. Which is also logical as they were mini hard disks. That time probably HDD were like 20mb or something. Big Grin The rest is history. Does anyone here still use a diskette sometimes?
(11-16-2009, 09:17 AM)Guerreiro Wrote: Definitely those Big Bendy Black Disks. Big Grin Those were originally called floppies. As you can imagine. Smile The A: drive was reserved for diskettes. Which I think comes from small disk. Which is also logical as they were mini hard disks. That time probably HDD were like 20mb or something. Big Grin The rest is history. Does anyone here still use a diskette sometimes?

Yeah, a few of my older PC's, all heve 20 MB HD's.

To answer the last question you asked there about the diskettes.

Yeah, I have used them fairly recently, within the past few months or so,
as I have an old PC with me that I don't use very much, that doesn't have a CD drive
and I think the USB port doesn't work, as I couldn't seem to connect a memory stick or an external USB HD to it, hence my infrequent use of diskettes.

If there is an old application that I'd like, that is maybe too big for the floppy, then I have a couple of file splitting/joining apps that I can use to get past that problem.

Ahhh, all the fun of old fashioned computing....;)