Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving English literacy?
The main problem I have with English literacy is the incapability (not so much the incapability, but more like the difficulty to write to a high standard of formality) to write formally. (And I do often make sentences which make zero sense).

Right now my grades for formal, critical essays are around average, where-as my (only) grade for writing is above average.

I'd like to learn and increase my formal writing, and yet the more I try, the worse of a grade I get. I've rewrote all my essays at least once.

I'd like to increase my overall grade as it will help with getting a university placement, as I do live in an English majority country and therefore being a native English speaker.

I read rather a lot, and I am perfectly competent in reading, (again, above average grades, the same applies for speaking as well). What would you recommend for becoming a better formal write in English?

Thanks.
Well for me my english has become much better by being on forums:O

I used to use slang all the time , which most scottish people do.

But you need to mature up sometime I guess.
This might sound stupid, but watching News channels on TV (IMO) has widened my range of formal vocabulary. That - and reading tangible newspapers or news reports online.
Want to learn more about hacking?
jacobriggs.io
(09-07-2011, 07:19 PM)bateyy Wrote: Well for me my english has become much better by being on forums:O

I used to use slang all the time , which most scottish people do.

But you need to mature up sometime I guess.
I've never actually ever used any large amounts of slang in my sentences, only occasionally to sound funny.

(09-07-2011, 08:32 PM)Riggs Wrote: This might sound stupid, but watching News channels on TV (IMO) has widened my range of formal vocabulary. That - and reading tangible newspapers or news reports online.
Thanks.
Watch more tv and it will help. National Geographic, etc.
Refrain from using conjunctions (don't, isn't, wasn't). When writing, always be sure to keep a single tense throughout your whole writing. Along with this, keep it in the same perspective as well.

If you feel like your grammar is off par, a good way of practicing is simply typing in Microsoft Word. Type out common phrases you usually say/write and check your grammatical errors. Learn from your mistakes.

A great formal work should consist of transition words (Although, Because of, Therefore, Thus, Due to the fact, in addition to, this is why, yet while the, etc)

When given a writing assignment that requires no time limit, it is important to plan out what you're going to write before hand. Don't attack your work without plan.
Always ask yourself: What does the question want to know?
What do I know about it?
Always include outside information in your work.

I hope this will help you in some way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spoken English Classes in Gurgaon luciferjonas007 0 535 02-05-2020, 03:12 AM
Last Post: luciferjonas007
  Need Writer for English datasync 7 1,951 06-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Last Post: JoseSheehan
  Macbeth, English homework help asap! para67 1 1,243 09-18-2015, 03:58 AM
Last Post: anafaffep
  english limericks for middle school Nille 1 771 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Hidden™
  Essay english help... SinSinger 6 1,328 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM