Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love cats, but I am allergic to them. :(
I am pretty sure you can get allergy shots to cure this. I think what they do is they inject whatever your allergic to (in your case whatever about cats you are allergic to) and inject it into you in small amounts, and you come back, and take a larger dose, and comeback and take a larger dose and it treats it after a extended period of time. My mom did this with pollen I don't know if it will work with cats though. Huh
lol thats kinda odd and sorry to hear that
Man I'm allergic to cats too Sad. I love them but can't have one :\
Damn, that would suck. I have a few cats and I sometimes sneeze when they come near me. Not a bad reaction though so I'm all goood.
Well i like cats because cat stay good friends forever.
That suckz!

Are u the Saga from HF?
Hi,

New girl here. I just want to point out that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat, unfortunately. Let me explain why to prevent someone from getting a cat/kitten and then ending up having to struggle to find the cat/kitten yet another home which is very hard due to the high numbers of homeless cats/kittens in this world in the first place. Shelters are over full and many of these beautiful creatures end up on the streets due to lack of forethought.

All cats secrete allergens found in the cats sebaceous glands in the cat's skin called glycoprotein; Fel D1(short for "Felis domesticus"), it is also secreted via saliva in lesser quantities. When cats lick themselves, they spread this protein, which is rather sticky, and glues itself onto dust particles, the home, your clothing and their fur; whether it's long, short, straight, curly, or absent. As all cats have sebaceous glands, all cat breeds can potentially cause allergies. Allergic allergens are also found in the feces, serum, urine, mucous, dander, and hair roots of the cat.

Yes some breeds do secrete this allergen less than other breeds and it can be controlled but not eliminated. Also, please keep in mind that if you have allergies at all, even if you don't have an actual cat allergy, your cat can still indirectly cause your allergies to flare up. Outside cats can bring in pollen, mold, and other allergens on their fur.

Here's a few things you can do to decrease cat allergen exposure for cat owners:

• Ensure the cat is neutered
  • Bathing the cat at least once or twice a week
  • Wiping the cat with a wet cloth or hand towel daily
  • Remove the cat from the bedroom, close the bedroom door and air vents to the bedroom
  • Keep the cat in a part of the home with an uncarpeted floor
  • Vacuum frequently with a HEPA-equipped vacuum cleaner
  • Purchase a HEPA room air cleaner for use in the bedroom and/or other parts of the home (it is best to keep the HEPA filter off of the floor so as to not stir up more dust)
  • Follow house dust mite avoidance precautions

If the above measures do not help to reduce allergic symptoms, getting rid of the pet cats may be needed, particularly for people with uncontrolled asthma.

Cat dander will persist for months to years in the home even if the cat is gone – therefore it is important to clean thoroughly.
  • steam clean all carpets and upholstered furniture
  • launder or dry clean all bedding and curtains
  • vacuum all hard floors
  • wipe down all hard surfaces and furniture
  • replace any air conditioner and heater vent filters

I hope this helps to eliminate the possibility of yet and cat/kitten becoming unwanted or homeless.

Adamant volunteer for our local Animal Foundation, and advocate for the T-N-R (trap,neuter,release) programs to bring down the numbers of over populated feral cat colonies. Licensed foster care provider for homeless cats/kittens, incorporating Behavior Modification to rehabilitate adoptable ferals and find them forever homes.

For the love of cats/kittens everywhere,

DonnaB

After being around cats so much, you'll get used to them.
My friend couldn't come over because he had an asthma attack or some crap, from the cats.
He came over a few days later without his parents knowing, and he had no reaction to them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many cats is too much? Herbal 14 2,575 08-24-2017, 03:55 AM
Last Post: wasim s
  Dogs & Cats Reality 32 7,950 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Brooke
  Cats VS Dogs Hуѕтєяιa X™ 207 81,266 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Brooke
  My cats - Only 6 months old :D DaMcmasonmc 6 882 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Techie.
  ~+~+~+ Ask me about Cats! +~+~+~ ABlackFedora 88 23,669 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Rofl Loves You