Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tut] Optimizing your PC for large ammount of fonts
Well, this doesn't really goes in the graphics area, but it's connected to it. If you're using a lot of fonts and you constantly download and install new ones, your PC will start to struggle in performance after a while. If you have more than 300-400 fonts installed and having performance issues, you should check out this method.

First, check if your fonts are causing you performance issues. Also, make sure you scan your PC for viruses and defragment the hard-drive before doing this.

1)
Go to task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and select the "Performance" tab. In the lower right corner there's a button called "Resource Monitor...". Click on it and a new window will show. Click on the "CPU" tab and look for "PresentationFontCache.exe". If it's CPU usage is high (mine was around 45-55) your performance problems are font related. If not, then the issue is probably something else.

2)
Now go to folder options (I don't remember how I enabled the explorer bar in Windows 7 (the one with File, Edit, Tools ..., you should google it)) and make sure you check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected system files" and apply the settings. Now to go C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\ , and delete all Font*.dat and reboot the PC.

3)
Your CPU usage should now be normal and your performance issues caused by large number of fonts should be gone.
Thanks for a great share Smile I would defo save this somewhere for my future uses Smile
[Image: IYOy9.png]
Never thought of this, thanks for the share!
Thanks!
A very useful share for me.

I am using larger fonts for folders.
Tongue
Glad I could help Smile
Thanks for this bro, I do have quite a bit of fonts. Smile
nice share!
I have like 3k Fonts. PS goes non responding when I click text sometime.
Thanks.
Coder | Skype: EleganceHF | AIM: Chief
Oh boy. This is such a big help. Thank you very much for this.
[Image: 999d53.png]
‹Affordable • High Quality • Friendly Service›
‹Signatures • Banners • Thread Designs • Company Logos›

Nice tutorial, I am sure many people will appreciate it.
Thanks!(:
[Image: sighype.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Give me some fonts! index.php 11 1,625 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Deity
  [TuT] Simple Trick To Improve Image Quality [TuT] Decept ♥ 24 4,255 03-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Last Post: m1chAel
  Large Art Infinity 5 972 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Infinity
  [Tut] How To Make A 3D Text Signature [Tut] Roro 52 14,410 11-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Jinu
  [TuT] Making a Support Forums Group Image [TuT] Decept ♥ 42 12,208 11-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Last Post: John.