Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bots and Spamming Problem!
Well.. all of a sudden, my website started getting members. We have had 140+ Registers in the last week.
They are almost ALL bots though.

I don't know why it is doing this but I have banned them ALL and IP banned them too.

If you know what to do or why it is happening, please help me.
Thanks!
[Image: sighype.gif]
It happens to all new forums, Currently happening on CF.
(07-31-2011, 10:13 AM)- Sam - Wrote: It happens to all new forums, Currently happening on CF.
CF?

Just keep banning them, and CF = Customizeforums.org.
It Even happends on my forum Keep banning them they will stop soon enough
(08-06-2011, 06:36 PM)Spudster Wrote: It Even happends on my forum Keep banning them they will stop soon enough

That's because all the IP's will be taken up though lol.

Banning them is not a solution, preventing them is your solution. IP's get recycled all the time, so someone might inherit an IP that got banned, and they will never have a chance on your forum. You can get the IP ranges of certain countries like Pakistan and India if you really wanted, because they are notorious for being spammers on most websites. Nothing racist, that's just the way it is, and I don't know why.

Since they are 3rd world countries though it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Look into captcha registration plugins, and security question plugins. If you use security questions, change all the defaults, make them somewhat difficult questions, and make sure that they are UNIQUE and that none of them are math equation questions. Bots can solve math algorithms.

Also, StopForumSpam is a decent plugin to use.

Delete all spam posts, as that can damage your SEO too.

I hardly get ANY spammers on my forum, I keep it fairly clean, my banlist is less than 10 IP's i'm sure too. I haven't had more than 5-10 spam posts since my forum started. I'm usually on, so I get to deal with any spam posts within the first 5 mins they get added to my forum.
Like ACE said StopForumSpam is one of your best options.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/stopforumspam-com-for-mybb

I installed the SFS.. hope it helps!
(08-12-2011, 10:27 AM)Hazardous Wrote: I installed the SFS.. hope it helps!

With that plugin in specific, the more people that use it, the better it will be because you can help them grow their database of listed spammers to block out from the forum that you run the plugin with.
(08-12-2011, 10:35 AM)Ace Wrote: With that plugin in specific, the more people that use it, the better it will be because you can help them grow their database of listed spammers to block out from the forum that you run the plugin with.
Sweet!
Thanks ACE!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting rid of spam and bots? Fragma 13 2,367 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Last Post: iMoney
  [MyBB] Bots... Maurice Moss 5 1,722 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Last Post: MarkW7