Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Some Installation Help
I got mine around christmas actually (last christmas). It's a 1TB, but i've seen 2TB hard drives out there. I'm sure there's ones with even more space than that too. It was around $110 for the one I have now.
So how much would you say for a 50mb one? Infact, no need to answer that I'll just Google it.

Back OT: I am willing to dedicate 32GB to Linux, if you help me setup the partition and the installation as I have no clue on how to do either.
If you are trying to get familiar with Linux and aren't too particular, I would recommend trying Linux Mint, as it has a installation where it installs itself much like an internet browser, inside of the programs of Windows, and automatically adds itself to your bootup OS selection. Uninstalling is simple too, just go into windows, add/remove programs, and uninstall. Super easy to try, and operates at almost full efficiency. Great for testing Linux and seeing if it is for you.
[Image: newsigcarbidenoborder.png]
(07-30-2011, 09:13 PM)Carbide Wrote: If you are trying to get familiar with Linux and aren't too particular, I would recommend trying Linux Mint, as it has a installation where it installs itself much like an internet browser, inside of the programs of Windows, and automatically adds itself to your bootup OS selection. Uninstalling is simple too, just go into windows, add/remove programs, and uninstall. Super easy to try, and operates at almost full efficiency. Great for testing Linux and seeing if it is for you.

I don't want it to be my boot up OS though, I want to be able to switch back and fourth on them, I've decided to no longer try it on my RDP.
Yeah, as I said it adds itself to the bootup OS selection.. you select which OS you would like to boot into. It also makes Windows your default.
Oh, okay. Well I'm definitely going to look into it, I'm just waiting for Ace's reply.
(07-30-2011, 09:13 PM)Believable Wrote: So how much would you say for a 50mb one? Infact, no need to answer that I'll just Google it.

Back OT: I am willing to dedicate 32GB to Linux, if you help me setup the partition and the installation as I have no clue on how to do either.

50MB??? lol That won't get you very far, back when I had Windows 98 that was even insufficient. The general range usually costs me about $1 per GB. Approximately.

(07-30-2011, 09:13 PM)Carbide Wrote: If you are trying to get familiar with Linux and aren't too particular, I would recommend trying Linux Mint, as it has a installation where it installs itself much like an internet browser, inside of the programs of Windows, and automatically adds itself to your bootup OS selection. Uninstalling is simple too, just go into windows, add/remove programs, and uninstall. Super easy to try, and operates at almost full efficiency. Great for testing Linux and seeing if it is for you.

I would highly agree here, Linux Mint is great, and very easy to install.

(07-30-2011, 09:18 PM)Believable Wrote: I don't want it to be my boot up OS though, I want to be able to switch back and fourth on them, I've decided to no longer try it on my RDP.

Linux mint will use GNOME to set up a boot "Menu" to select your boot OS for you by default. Default timeout is 10 seconds too for you to respond and choose a boot OS, but you can change which one it automatically selects, and you can also change the timeout. Linux Mint is great though. I believe the latest version is still Linux Mint 11, don't go with Linux Mint 10, 11 is better.
(07-30-2011, 09:24 PM)Ace Wrote: 50MB??? lol That won't get you very far, back when I had Windows 98 that was even insufficient. The general range usually costs me about $1 per GB. Approximately.

About this one sorry, it was a typing error I meant 50GB.

(07-30-2011, 09:24 PM)Ace Wrote:
(07-30-2011, 09:18 PM)Believable Wrote: I don't want it to be my boot up OS though, I want to be able to switch back and fourth on them, I've decided to no longer try it on my RDP.

Linux mint will use GNOME to set up a boot "Menu" to select your boot OS for you by default. Default timeout is 10 seconds too for you to respond and choose a boot OS, but you can change which one it automatically selects, and you can also change the timeout. Linux Mint is great though. I believe the latest version is still Linux Mint 11, don't go with Linux Mint 10, 11 is better.

Okay I think I'm willing to give it a try, do you mind jumping on TeamViewer with me and helping me setup a partition and helping with the installation as I've never done either, and it would be great to have an experienced user there to help me. Thank-you for all your help and I look forward to you reply.
Mint doesn't require you setup a partition, at all. You literally install it as if you were installing Opera, its that simple.
(07-30-2011, 09:28 PM)Carbide Wrote: Mint doesn't require you setup a partition, at all. You literally install it as if you were installing Opera, its that simple.

I would recommend creating one though instead of going and just downloading it side by side

I created a tutorial here on how to shrink a hard drive volume. Then on install you can create the Linux partition for Mint and format it to ext4.