Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constant blue screens on startup
My XP laptop at work is sick, on startup, if I open too much too soon, normally Chrome with a load of tabs saved from last time, it blue screens and dies. It only happens when it's recently been started, I can have 20+ tabs open in Chrome and loads of other crap open after the laptop's been running for an hour and it'll be fine, but that would crash it instantly at startup. If I open up smaller programs like Notepad++ and FTP and let it 'warm up' for a bit then everything'll be fine.

Obviously I assume it's bad RAM but does anyone know of anything else that might cause it??
MyBB Support Team Lead
Have you got or can you get your hand on any RAM? It sounds like a hardware problem to me.
Maybe Computer overheating...
(i don't know what the weather in your country (where do you live?))

:S maybe some usb hardware is making conflict

(i am giving ideas)

Have you updated your computer drivers recently?
It was a fresh install of XP a month ago, there was literally nothing extra on it when I got it. Won't be overheating, I'm in the UK and it's bloody cold in our room Tongue Plus it gets better and won't crash after it warms up a bit.

We've tried some slightly used RAM once, didn't work, guess we'll need to try some brand new sticks.
MyBB Support Team Lead
Could be your HDD on it way out then by the sounds of it.
Oh xD well i live in chile and it's hot and dry as hell

mmmmmm
i really don't know
But have you installed some software recently?
Did you maked a Virus/spyware scan?
have you made any chkdsk?(probably you could have some corrupted files "dll's" who knows)
make a Hijackthis and check if you have some weird software on....

A bluescreen picture could help
2nd click on my computer => properties => advanced options => start and recovery => System restart and untick "Restart instantly"
if it gives blue screen and restarts instatly go to My computer
There's no error on the blue screen, it's just the 'Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart', with some useless code at the bottom. If fresh RAM doesn't do it I guess the HDD will be the next step Sad
MyBB Support Team Lead
Usually blue screens gives an error code related to something

90% of times i googled that code get the answers

that's why im asking you the error
(10-05-2009, 12:31 PM)MattR Wrote: There's no error on the blue screen, it's just the 'Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart', with some useless code at the bottom. If fresh RAM doesn't do it I guess the HDD will be the next step Sad

Have you got a pendrive? You could install it on a pendrive just to test it out. If you bios supports USB boot that is.
You can try borrowing some RAM from a friend, you don't have to jump to conclusions and buy it right away. Just try swapping it and see if the problem persists.