Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MyBB question @OMNI or any other mybb Guru's
Ok so basically ALL my forums are mybb. There seems to now be a constant stream of spammers registering regardless of the captcha protection. They seem to spend quite some time on the registration page.

So what I'm wondering is there seem to be some sort of ajax script that when I unfocus the captcha textbox it tells me if I've typed the captcha correctly without having to actually post the page, thus if I get it wrong it tells me and doesn't generate a new image so I can try again.

Is it possible the spambots are using this to bruteforce the captcha without having to post the whole forum or is there some sort of limit with the amount of times the ajax script tells you it's wrong before you get a new captcha?
Need website or forum help?
[Image: logo.png]
Try using this great plugin, great for my forum. Smile http://mods.mybb.com/view/registration-s...y-question
Consider StopForumSpam plugin too.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(07-07-2011, 12:25 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Consider StopForumSpam plugin too.

I installed that last week. It's working well so far.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/stopforumspam-com-for-mybb
Remember we have a forum software section.
I suggest more moderators, you can't always rely on scripts.
I have captchas, custom sign up questions and email verification. They manage to sign up, and attempt to post. That's when they're perma-deleted. I delete accounts, not ban.
If you use sign up questions, they are a waste of space on your site unless you change all of the defaults and you do NOT use any mathematical equations for questions. Bots will recognize the defaults, and they will also be able to solve string algorithms in the form of math equations.

Hmm... I'm going to look into that StopForumSpam for my forum as well though. I know SF here keeps getting that same old IT tech spammer once in a while, but i'm glad we don't have that problem (yet). I personally haven't seen barely any spammers at all on our forum. Maybe around 5 in total, since the time it's been running. Pretty decent.

I go to Fragma's TalkGFX though, and I usually notice the same spam on his forum on my own as well. There were similarities between the spam on Solidus' RandomForum and mine as well. Some bot's are finding a way through, unless these are just regular people. Some seemed realistic though, so it may be, and in that case you can't stop that kind of spam lol. You can only waste more of their time by taking the precautions of getting them to go through the "human" tests.
I don't know how bots find your site.
At RF, I have some security measures installed, and there are still some bots. At GFXF, I have no security, but very rarely there are bots. Lucky I guess.
(07-10-2011, 06:51 AM)Solidus Wrote: I don't know how bots find your site.
At RF, I have some security measures installed, and there are still some bots. At GFXF, I have no security, but very rarely there are bots. Lucky I guess.
My site ranks quite highly on google.
Need website or forum help?
[Image: logo.png]
This pisses me off to, all I did was ip ban them it stopped them for a bit, but they keep coming back!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstaPush for MyBB MasterZuFu 3 1,621 04-28-2019, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Aida01
  [Premium] Modern - Fully responsive for MyBB 1.8 thanhtua4 1 1,499 06-30-2015, 02:15 AM
Last Post: thanhtua4
  MyBB Installation Tutorial Nasyr 0 842 10-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Nasyr
  [Release] Flat Desire : Stunning Flat Premium MyBB Theme envira 1 2,174 10-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nasyr
  MyBB - Tabbed Menu - How to put them in order? Squeaker 0 917 04-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Squeaker