Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A common misconception - OS X is UNIX.
So I've just decided to have a look around the Apple section and I'm seeing Mac vs. PC flame wars appearing everywhere - I know that there's always going to be Mac/PC flame-wars and there's no stopping that - as a Mac user myself I think OS X is the clear winner here- but that's beside the point.
There is a twist in the Mac VS. PC battle; I saw someone basically starting a 'Mac VS. PC VS. Linux' thread which I thought was stupid - here's why.

99% of people think that OS X was built from scratch and that ALL of the code was done internally by Apple; this is NOT the case - OS X is actually based on BSD UNIX; Linux being a UNIX clone..I think it's fair to say that OS X is 'basically' Linux, you can compile 99% of Linux/UNIX programs without any porting (if you have the right libraries) ; and there's the awesome 'macports' project for the programs that DO need porting- OS X even comes with X11 so you can run Linux/UNIX GUI applications.
I know this is a badly written post but I just thought I should get it out there; to all the Linux guys telling us OS X users to switch..we already have!
[Completely Honest. Seriously.]

Protip: Anonymous Reputation Points are for Pussies
(10-20-2009, 06:05 PM)iintens Wrote: 99% of people think that OS X was built from scratch and that ALL of the code was done internally by Apple; this is NOT the case - OS X is actually based on BSD UNIX;

Yeah, to run OSX under a VM you have to run it in a BSB configuration (and a few other things). I doubt that much is common though appart from maybe parts of the kernel.
MyBB Support team member.
[Image: smallsig.png]
(10-26-2009, 10:31 PM)Tim Wrote: Yeah, to run OSX under a VM you have to run it in a BSB configuration (and a few other things). I doubt that much is common though appart from maybe parts of the kernel.

I explain the similarities in my post Tongue

(10-20-2009, 06:05 PM)iintens Wrote: So I've just decided to have a look around the Apple section and I'm seeing Mac vs. PC flame wars appearing everywhere - I know that there's always going to be Mac/PC flame-wars and there's no stopping that - as a Mac user myself I think OS X is the clear winner here- but that's beside the point.
There is a twist in the Mac VS. PC battle; I saw someone basically starting a 'Mac VS. PC VS. Linux' thread which I thought was stupid - here's why.

99% of people think that OS X was built from scratch and that ALL of the code was done internally by Apple; this is NOT the case - OS X is actually based on BSD UNIX; Linux being a UNIX clone..I think it's fair to say that OS X is 'basically' Linux, you can compile 99% of Linux/UNIX programs without any porting (if you have the right libraries) ; and there's the awesome 'macports' project for the programs that DO need porting- OS X even comes with X11 so you can run Linux/UNIX GUI applications.
I know this is a badly written post but I just thought I should get it out there; to all the Linux guys telling us OS X users to switch..we already have!

I thought this was widely known lol. Goes to show doesnt it. Smile
I still think Mac sucks. Smile
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

True. At low-level, they are the same. But if you think about other things, such as GUI, they are not.
[Image: vhc689.jpg]
do noт мaĸe мe мad. ι wιll ĸιll yoυ.
-rep me if you want to get banned! please!
Anonymous rep is for freakin cowards!
Mac OS X is Unix-Like
Linux is Unix-like
BUT... they are NOT the same.

UNIX is an OS by AT&T.
Unix-like means it functions in the same/similar way to UNIX

Mac OS X is part Mach Microkernel (from NeXT) and part BSD 4.3 with code-sharing between Apple and FreeBSD.
LockerZ Invite Required? PM Me.
Visit TechBeat for the latest Technology News
[Image: jamzasigniture.jpg]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_(kernel)
(10-27-2009, 04:13 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: I thought this was widely known.

nope

They are indeed both BASED in unix. But then i can have two computers that have the same processor but different ram mobo video card etc...Does that make them the same? No one of them is clearly going to be better than the other.
Exactly. OS X is just a small branch off of it.

[Image: 800px-Unix_history-simple.en.svg.png]
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me.
--Mark Twain