Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COD Black Ops: Weapons Guide: L96A1 [19/05/2011]
Greetings fans of the Call Of Duty franchise!

This is the third edition of my COD Black Ops Weapon Guide series.
If you haven't seen the first two yet, you can check out the guides index here.
This is a series of Black Ops guides aimed at helping the players to get a better understanding of how these weapons fare on the battlefield. They are based on my unbiased thoughts and opinions as an experienced gamer.
If I miss something, or if I need to correct something, be sure to give appropriate sources along with your feedback. Lets begin!
So, without further ado, lets begin!

Note: The following guide is only for Multiplayer. There is a section for Zombies, provided the gun is available in a Zombies game without cheats/mods

Today's featured weapon is:

L96A1

[Image: Menu_mp_weapons_l96a1.png]

Type: Sniper Rifle (Bolt Action)
Unlocked at: Level 27
Price: [Image: 8pxcodpointssvg.png] 2000
Pickup Image:
[Image: Hud_l96.png]
Ammunition: 15 (starting) ~ 40 (maximum)
Magazine size: 5 rounds ~ 10 rounds (w/ Extended Mags)
Reload time (approx.): 3.3 seconds (Not completely empty)
3.5 seconds (Completely empty)
Rate Of Fire (ROF): 60 rpm
Damage: 70

BlackChaos' Brief Rundown Of The L96A1
The L96A1 is unlocked for purchase at Level 27 at 2000 COD points.
The L96A1 is the most powerful sniper rifle in the game, dealing deathly damage due to its high damage multipliers. A shot to the head, upper chest or shoulders guarantee a one shot kill. However, the L96A1 has very high recoil, a slow aiming reticle speed, and a low rate of fire. This makes it difficult to properly line up second shots and makes the player vulnerable to attack from faster weapons like SMGs and Assault Rifles.

It also has the highest amount of sway of all the sniper rifles and needs to lock in the barrel after every shot. This follows the trend given to most bolt-action sniper rifles in FPS games, one of the prime examples is the Intervention from Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

The L96A1 has a low ammo count, as is the case for most sniper rifles. But coupled with a low ROF, makes it easy to maintain ammunition over a period of time.

Due to its potential for one shot kills, it is one of the most commonly used sniper rifles by both regular players and trick shooting fanatics.

Attachments
  • Suppressor [8/10]
    The Suppressor is a great attachment to the L96A1 due to its already high damage as well as head and chest multipliers which ensure a one shot, one kill every time.
  • Infrared Scope [6.5/10]
    The Infrared scope is, in my opinion, more of a user-based choice. Its good overall, but can be fooled easily using Perks and distractions in the background.
  • Extended Mags [9/10]
    This attachment is highly recommended as it detracts nothing from the quality of the gun, and still benefits its usefulness.
  • ACOG Sight[8/10]
    The ACOG sight of the L96A1 is different from other ACOGs. It is commonly known as the SUSAT scope and its greatly beneficial to this sniper rifle. It reduces the dependence of the sniper on the distance factor and makes it efficient as a medium ranged weapon.
  • Variable Zoom [10/10]
    Probably the best attachment for the L96A1. Ever.
    Increases the range by a reasonable amount and increases the options available to the sniper.

Final Verdict
[8.5/10]
Despite the various negatives, the L96A1 is one of my favorite guns. Due to its high damage, its also very efficient in dispatching opponents.

[Image: zombiesheader.png]
In Nazi Zombies, it is available out of the Mystery Box, and is a one-hit-kill in the early rounds but after round 7 or 8 it loses its one-hit-kill ability to body shots.
After round 11 it becomes very weak, and should be traded in or Pack-a-Punched. When Pack-a-Punched, it becomes the "L115 Isolator". Its damage is increased and it gains the Variable Zoom scope. But again, it loses its one-hit-kill ability approximately at round 16.
Despite its high damage, it is not recommended for use beyond round 11 or so. Ever though it's not very practical, it can kill effectively, even at higher rounds. The reason for this being that zombies have extremely high health, roughly 7000+ at round 30 and above. At this point it would take a full round from an upgraded Assault Rifle to kill a single zombie while the upgraded L96A1 would be killing it in one headshot until round 34 and would be a 2 shot kill to the head until round 41.

Even though most players never use it, I regularly use it in zombies when ever I'm playing casually. After you see this, you might give it a thought as well:

Which weapon should I showcase next? Please leave your suggestion below.

Guide compiled by BlackChaos
I'm soo pi**ed my Black Ops stats got reset yesterday because of a connection error which occured. I'm a bloody noob now. Sad
suppressor 8/10
infrared 5/10
extended mag 10/10
acog 5/10
variable 9.5 / 10
[Image: burninglove4.png]
(05-19-2011, 04:42 AM)Untouch Wrote: I'm soo pi**ed my Black Ops stats got reset yesterday because of a connection error which occured. I'm a bloody noob now. Sad
suppressor 8/10
infrared 5/10
extended mag 10/10
acog 5/10
variable 9.5 / 10

Damn. :/
Are you on XBOX?
(05-19-2011, 12:01 PM)BlackChaos Wrote: Damn. :/
Are you on XBOX?

Nah the PC.
[Image: burninglove4.png]
(05-19-2011, 12:56 PM)Untouch Wrote: Nah the PC.

Bah. PC games online are flawed sometimes and prone to dumb errors like this. Glare

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CoD did you start with? Black Ghost 100 21,867 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Uzi
  Fifa 13 or CoD Black Ops 2 glitches for xbox 360????????? robgh1 3 1,384 07-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Wonders
  [XBOX ]Playing Black Ops All Night, Join Me. F.ate 8 1,849 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Last Post: chasejjj
  COD Modern Warfare 3: Weapon Guides - SCAR-L [11/05/2012] BlackChaos 0 1,421 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Last Post: BlackChaos
  Highest Round You've Gotten on CoD: BO Zombies? Professor Oak 36 4,758 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Magma