Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Forum Software?
(01-01-2012, 12:29 AM).360 Wrote: Any idea if phpbb is aware of it, or is there anything they can do about it? Is there no similar MyBB vulnerabilities?

I'm sure they have an idea, but PhpBB3 is out now and it's also exploitable. They've been stuck on PhpBB3 for a long time now, and everyone has been wondering when PhpBB4 will come out. Not much being done with it though from what I see.
MyBB would be favourite. Why I hear you ask? Well It's simple. They have a brilliant team updating it frequently, it's fully customizable and personally tweak-able with plugins and it's also free, which is the main thing for me as I don't really want to be going out and spending around £150 for something that may not even take off.
(01-01-2012, 01:46 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: I'm sure they have an idea, but PhpBB3 is out now and it's also exploitable. They've been stuck on PhpBB3 for a long time now, and everyone has been wondering when PhpBB4 will come out. Not much being done with it though from what I see.

That doesn't seem right to me, leaving it out there to be exploited and letting people continue using it without fixing the problem. From the looks of posts on the internet people have been waiting for phpbb4 for years. Reminds me of waiting for Diablo 3.
I agree with you, MyBB and phpBB are my favorites. I prefer MyBB though, I just like the GUI better.
(01-01-2012, 06:38 PM).360 Wrote: That doesn't seem right to me, leaving it out there to be exploited and letting people continue using it without fixing the problem. From the looks of posts on the internet people have been waiting for phpbb4 for years. Reminds me of waiting for Diablo 3.

Yeah, i've been waiting to see PhpBB4 for a while as well personally. I don't even know where all the developers went for it. But until then I would advise people not to use PhpBB. You can take the risk if you want, but if you're going with PhpBB, make SURE you download v3 at the least.
(01-01-2012, 09:37 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: Yeah, i've been waiting to see PhpBB4 for a while as well personally. I don't even know where all the developers went for it. But until then I would advise people not to use PhpBB. You can take the risk if you want, but if you're going with PhpBB, make SURE you download v3 at the least.

I see. Luckily the phpbb2 forum I had was only a quite small community. If it had gotten larger and more popular I'm sure there'd be users who would have been aware of the exploit and attempted to use it.
Myb purely because of all of the modifications and much else that can be added and easily tweaked with t. SMF is a very nice forum too yet not so widely used.
My favorite is MyBB as well, along with the majority of this thread it seems.

(01-04-2012, 12:38 AM)Quizzical Wrote: Myb purely because of all of the modifications and much else that can be added and easily tweaked with t. SMF is a very nice forum too yet not so widely used.

There's more modifications and better ones with vB and IPB. But MyBB is certainly catching up with a few eye-catching plugins recently.

Favourite is MyBB, probably because I'm really familiar with it now. Big fan of IPB though.
Unban me from HF Omni Sad
Development on non-paid open source forum software will always be greater than that of the ones out there that aren't. It's as simple as that, so unless you have really dedicated development from a background team on the ones that aren't the development on open source software will almost always prosper over anything else. I expect MyBB to become increasingly popular for as long as people have interest in helping it. If that continues, it's obviously going to become bigger than it's competitors if it isn't already in comparison to a few.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  myBB Forum Permission Cache Error - Crippling My Forum CruciasNZ 1 930 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Kevin Cheri
  best free forum software Miku 21 4,578 09-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Dolan.
  Best Forum Software? Tubby 13 2,328 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Retribute
  Vote Your Favourite Forum Software of 2012! BreShiE 24 3,743 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: webdev77
  Forum software [Free] eax 10 2,638 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Last Post: iMoney