Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Unofficial SupportForums IRC Channel [Now Open]
(05-09-2011, 06:42 PM)Scalise Wrote: yeah idk i cant type it without thinking its gonna like show everyone the whole line because im doing it wrong. whatever haha

No, as long as you have the forward slash as the first char, "/" you can type /lkjsdlfj;ahsdgsdfkljsdf

And no one will see it, it will send a message to your status just like any other command, It just won't recognize it.
I suggest a "ping" sound when a message is entered. At least for the time being while chat is sort of well, dead. Makes it easy so you don't have to toggle pages back and forth.

Just a suggestion Smile
I don't splel check.
The chat is not dead, you haven't been there for as long as most other people though. A ping sound would be very annoying in my opinion. Eve was on yesterday for a good chunk of time, Solidus was on there for a while, deltron was on there for a couple hours, RDCA comes in and out, i'm usually there with my bot, KoBE visits once in a while and chats, Quintus used to go there, but he's been having internet problems, and there's a few other regular visitors as well.

Check in at a different timezone, the chat is definitely not dead. Fixed the layout of the index page today, looks a little better, thinking on adding a link to a separate page for the Basic IRC commands for user reference as well. Lots of work being put into it so far
You should update the URLs.
(05-11-2011, 04:49 PM)Solidus Wrote: You should update the URLs.

what do you mean? In the css or html? Clear your cache and recheck it btw, I just modified the page a couple minutes ago Smile Hard to get it to match this forum style, looks a bit plain, but i'll come up with something in the future to spice it up a bit.
I said dead as in it wouldn't be constantly pinging all the time. As of now there's enough process between posts that I don't think a ping would be that annoying, and would bring attention back to the chat.

Or I don't know how this is done but have the tab flash like it does with a new Facebook message.

Anything to let you know that there's new type is all I'm suggesting, lol.
I don't splel check.
(05-11-2011, 04:51 PM)Infinity Wrote: what do you mean? In the css or html? Clear your cache and recheck it btw, I just modified the page a couple minutes ago Smile Hard to get it to match this forum style, looks a bit plain, but i'll come up with something in the future to spice it up a bit.

Are you still using gamingtuts.net? You have a new domain set up.
(05-11-2011, 04:52 PM)Scalise Wrote: I said dead as in it wouldn't be constantly pinging all the time. As of now there's enough process between posts that I don't think a ping would be that annoying, and would bring attention back to the chat.

Or I don't know how this is done but have the tab flash like it does with a new Facebook message.

Anything to let you know that there's new type is all I'm suggesting, lol.

I would rather try to implement a flashing active bar in the taskbar at the bottom instead of a sound. I'll need to figure out a way to do that since it's an iframe object.

(05-11-2011, 04:53 PM)Solidus Wrote: Are you still using gamingtuts.net? You have a new domain set up.

Nope, SFchat.net is now open, I've been doing all of the modifications to that.
Thanks very much for this. A good, uncrowded IRC shall be nice to have Smile
[Image: ZOuHf.png]
Red Bull Racing
No problem Smile

Just as a post alone that I believe is important, I'm going to reiterate the idea behind me creating the channel and the site in the first place though. This is a support forum, so even though IRC isn't that popular nowadays, people now have an option to go somewhere for Live Support. This channel doesn't require a client to access it since it's now hosted on a site (domain provided by Solidus, and hosting by RDCA), which would make it a lot easier for IRC beginners to be able to take advantage of this.

The other channels out there are being used as an optional "chat" whereas if we can get this enforced as a support and a chat system together it would be a lot more popular in my opinion.

No more giving out your email/msn/aim/yahoo/etc to random people on the forums here, you can achieve support from people through the channel. All you'd have to do is confirm that you're going to be there, through PMing another user on the site willing to help, and you can use the IRC as an alternative to msn. It's a much faster, and easier way of contact in my opinion.

So if anyone starts to disagree based on past posts/threads and suggestions of anything to do with IRC for SF, I would take this into consideration first. Not wanting this official, but for anyone who wants to use this, it will now be optional, and is available to everyone Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for my Youtube channel Kharnage 9 1,241 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Kharnage
  Community Channel Maybe? Chief 4 606 10-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Muted
  SupportForums' IRC | Join Now!! BreShiE 11 1,602 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Last Post: BreShiE
  Support Forums IRC? Chief 9 1,501 08-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  Nominate yourself for a position on the unofficial IRC Channel for SF AceInfinity 5 1,167 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Last Post: AceInfinity