Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] Getting Started: Poems
Hey guys.
This is my first tutorial and I'm hope you all like it.

I've noticed how not many people post here in the Creative Writing forum and I'm hoping to change that by helping you find your spark.

First off, let me explain briefly about how writing poems work.

Writing a poem is the best way to express yourself. You can write on various subjects, from simple objects like a shiny car or even an abstract feeling like love or anger.
As long as you're enjoying it and you feel its an outlet to relieve your tension, then you're going on the right track.

One of the best ways to write poetry, is to read and listen to it first. You can find that many poems can end up inspiring you and helping you come up with your own work. Its alright if you use a few elements from other poems to write your own, considering you're still on your way to being a real writer. Just remember to mention your source of inspiration if you do intend to write.
I have posted many of my poems here in this forum and you're welcome to have a look and borrow some lines or the concept from some of them in order to start your own poem.

Now that you've been inspired, you need to work on blowing on that spark.
Your poem may begin with just a few lines (like mine) that come out of nowhere. They just hit you like a bolt of lightning and remain embedded in your thoughts for a few seconds. That is known as Inspiration. Once you get that, the remainder of the poem can be written around it.

Sometimes, you may want to write about something more specific. In that case, you need to do a little planning. What I do is, I write down the words or phrases which I want to use in my poem which come to my mind when I think about that idea.
Try to pen down all of your ideas into words. It may sound difficult at first, but what you need to know is that, your poem is a channel of communication. Let your emotions run free and pass on through this channel.

What is the main subject of your poem?
What is it about? Whether you're righting it for your loved one or if you just want to release some pent up emotion, be sure to think about you subject first. Then you can proceed to write accordingly.
Or sometimes, just pick up your pen and start scribbling down whatever comes to your mind. You'll find out that your mind is more creative than you give it credit for Smile

Decide what type of poetry, or which style of poetry suits you.
There are many different styles of writing poetry. You could write in short verses, limericks, ballads or maybe even just free verse.
Most of the time, when I write spontaneously, it turns out to be free verse and I keep it that way. Sometimes, you should just get a feeling for what style suits you. But if you're having trouble deciding, I urge you to try various styles until you hit upon one which works for you.

Listen to your poem
While poetry is mainly expressed in written form, you need to get find out whether its just as good when spoken aloud.
You need to take note of both rhyme and rhythm. Also if you do it too well, it may just as well turn into a song or a rap. So there's never any downside or too much rhyme or too much rhythm. Smile

Use poetic devices and vivid descriptions
Real poetry not only uses its own poetic devices to mark its emotions, but also vivid descriptions. As a silly example, consider "She made a loud sound", versus "She made a loud sound like an elephant stepping on a clatter of cymbals".
Poetic devices are the most common and effective way to add meaning to a line or make the poem blend together. There are many different poetic devices to choose from, so I can't list them all here.
You can look up more poetic devices and terms by following this link:
Poetic Glossary

The Final Words
The last line is to a poem what a punch line is to a joke: something that evokes an emotional response. Give the reader something to think about after reading your poem. Resist the urge to explain it; let the reader become engaged with the poem and develop a deeper meaning and understanding to your poem.

Share your work
One of the greatest ways to evolve as a writer, is to have people critique your work. So, share your work here on SF and we'll all be sure to help you improve your skills Smile

So, get started! Find that spark and create your own masterpiece.

Here is a list of my poems, if you ever need inspiration:
In The Stars
Absurd
New Year, Old Memories
Why I Wrote This
Meant To Be
Light
Forever
The Road

PM me if you need any help. I'm always here Smile
One of the most detailed and impeccably the best explained tutorials on writing poems . You've blown me away again.
I hate sex in the movies. Tried it once, the seat folded up, the drink spilled and that ice,
well it really chilled her mood.

[Image: 506243.png]
Thank you Smile
I just hope it helps.
It's a very good guide and explains in fantastic detail the concepts of poetry writing. I've only ever written one poem and this thread will definitely help me should I need to express my self through literature.

Thank you for sharing, good work. You're doing the Emotional Helpers proud.
(05-06-2011, 10:12 AM)Sam Wrote: It's a very good guide and explains in fantastic detail the concepts of poetry writing. I've only ever written one poem and this thread will definitely help me should I need to express my self through literature.

Thank you for sharing, good work. You're doing the Emotional Helpers proud.

Aww Big Grin
You just made my day.
Thanks for your comment, and I hope I do more to help contribute to the forums and the Emotional Helpers Smile

I also hope you'll write here more often. You'll surely find my comments on it first Tongue
Well read that one poem I made and tell me what you think, it wasn't aimed to be amazing but to portray feelings.
You poem was just beautiful :')
You have to write more!

Back on topic: I hope this tutorial helps some of the members to release their inner talents Smile
Such an awesome tutorial chaos, i am actually trying to improve my english as its not my native/first language before starting creative writting. And i love your poems.
Very detailed tut. I have been trying to get better at poems lately. This will help!
lol You didn't have to post in the thread, but thanks anyways. I hope to see some of your poems in the Creative Writing section.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What inspires you to write poems, raps or stories? Zombot 14 2,520 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Eminent
  More of my poems. Beautiful 17 2,739 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Godly™
  My Published Poems Impulses SF 7 1,558 06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Last Post: BlackChaos
  I got bored, and started ranting on Facebook. Xander 11 2,532 01-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Hуѕтєяιa X™
  Poem: How life started Death Trap™ 2 930 01-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Death Trap™