Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Downtime?
Well glad that SF is back up? Anybody know anything that happened to the site in technical details? *cough* Omniscient *cough*???

That seemed pretty serious to me, I hope we were updating databases or soemthing... Wacko
[Image: t5BWm.png]
It was only for a couple of minutes; no need to bring up a thread about this. We take for granted how often this site is online, rather than offline. Have you seen all those threads from Hack Forums about the downtime? We should be thanking Omniscient.
I don't think it should be quite as far as thanking him for the downtime. Regardless of whether it was caused by him or not based on server issues or planned maintenance downtime. If that happened to a website like google, I don't think people would thank google for having their search engine down, even if it was just for 5 minutes. It's common for people to take for granted that the site is up most of the time, but that's what all webmasters strive for; A maximum uptime.
Let's consider the fact that Google has hundreds of billions of dollars to maintain their up time. I'm sure they won't have a problem keeping it online.

And I do agree with your last statement, that webmasters strive for maximum up time, but I say five minutes isn't bad. Considering the fact that Omniscient is the only one running this entire website, I find it quite impressing how often Support Forums is online.
(05-01-2011, 02:07 AM)Deltron Wrote: Let's consider the fact that Google has hundreds of billions of dollars to maintain their up time. I'm sure they won't have a problem keeping it online.

And I do agree with your last statement, that webmasters strive for maximum up time, but I say five minutes isn't bad. Considering the fact that Omniscient is the only one running this entire website, I find it quite impressing how often Support Forums is online.

lots of webmasters and/or administrators run their own site by themselves. Money doesn't have a whole lot to do with it though, there's usually a paid amount per an allotted amount of time, so it should be up for quite a while before each downtime event.
I had a low downtime here so didnt really affect me.
Wow guys, I had it for several hours yesterday. It didn't even let me view the cached version... Sorry Tongue
[Image: t5BWm.png]
It's because CloudFlare is just awful.
(05-01-2011, 08:54 AM)Solidus Wrote: It's because CloudFlare is just awful.

Lol, don't you love the cute 'Always Online' software ^_^
SupportForums for promotion!
Massive attack on Dreamhosts network.

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

Had nothing to do with me or our site. The entire network for DH was down. I had zero control. The downtime was for many hours. It also had nothing to do with Cloudflare.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Importing Database and Downtime Omniscient 36 3,531 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Last Post: iMario
  Downtime? Astrael 27 4,417 04-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Pyratepig
  Downtime. Peter L 26 5,215 01-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Blacklite
  12 Hours Downtime Omniscient 22 2,972 10-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Last Post: MarkW7
  Downtime Omniscient 5 1,127 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Skill