Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Supply for L.E.D. Switches [TuT]
THE PICTURES IN THE SUPPLY LIST ARE NOT MINE THEY WERE TAKEN FROM GOOGLE SEARCHES. THE ONLY THING I CLAIM IS WHAT I WROTE AND THE DIAGRAM I CREATED.

What follows is a simple diagram to show you how to daisy chain a power supply through switches. This method is preferred because it eliminates running multiple wires from under your hood to inside of your vehicle. This will only show you how to run the power supply and it will not include the accessory hook up instuctions.

What you will need.

[Image: Wire-Stripper-Terminal-pliers.jpg]
Wiring pliers. This is a standard pair of wiring pliers that will allow you to do just about anything you need while wiring. You can use them to clip, strip, crimp, and much more.

[Image: Large-In-Line-Fuseholder.jpg]
An in line fuse is recommened for any power supply coming from a battery terminal or a power junction.

[Image: foglightspliceconnector.jpg]
IDC connectors. These make daisy chaing a sinch. There are other ways to daisy chain but it can get messy. These connectors allow for neater wiring.

[Image: 30119FL.gif]
This is a non insulated female disconnect. I reccommend fully insulated connectors as they prevent arching off and shorts. This will be used at the end of your wires to connect them to the switch prongs/beams.

[Image: 413RZQ3Z2BL_SL500_AA280_.jpg]
This is an L.E.D. billot switch. I use this kind of switch for my L.E.D.s, but I use the ones with the blue L.E.D.

This is the wiring diagram that I created. I think it is pretty self explanitory but I will answer any and all questions to the best of my ability.

If you do not understand something, please post and I will help you.

Also, if you guys would like me to create a thread showing my lighting and switches let me know and I will try and hook that up for you tonight. Thanks for reading! Smile
[Image: arch2.png]
Great tut. Only thing i would like to say is not to use the
[Image: foglightspliceconnector.jpg]
I have used them in the past without any problem but i have a sparky mate who insists i dont use them rather use these.
[Image: 12559932501487_Connections1.jpg]
Prob dont matter but he is rather insistant on that.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

That gets too messy and requires more work. There is nothing wrong with IDC connectors. The only possibility of malfunction would be if the cap came undone and the metal prong grounded off. To prevent this, use a small amount of electrical tape to wrap the connector. This will keep the cap on securely. Butt connectors are good for splicing single wires together. I would not advise using them in this application. Thanks for your reply though.
(10-19-2009, 04:01 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [Image: 12559932501487_Connections1.jpg]
Prob dont matter but he is rather insistant on that.
I work with wiring all day and I prefer butt connectors (terminals shown in your pics) over anything they're the best.
[Image: casper2fin3.png]

Will Trade Demonoid invite for torrentkids. PM mE
Butt connectors are great, but not practical for this application. To each his own though. They both work the same, one is just neater than the other. I will post a thread to show butt connectors in a more practical use.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power/fuel problem? Extasey 17 3,261 12-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Extasey