Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will I get any problems reimaging computer?
I ran out of space on my local hdd on my laptop and I want to upgrade to a bigger one. I bought an hdd that is bigger and that is compatible with my current laptop. I plan to take the old hdd out and put the new one in. The trouble is I don't want to have to deal with reinstalling all the programs that I had on my computer before. My plan to get around that is this:
  1. I will backup my current local hdd data to an .dat file on an external hdd using drive image .dat file
  2. I will then replace the old hdd with the new one
  3. I will then install windows 7 on the new hdd as a clean install.
  4. I will then partition the new hdd
  5. Next I will restore the old hdd data from the .dat file to that new hdd.
  6. I will then set that partition as the default boot partition and then boot from that partition ( it should boot exactly the way I used to have it right?)
  7. Then I will delete the other partition with the fresh install of windows 7 on it and merge it with the new partition in order to make one partition (CSmile
  8. Then I will hope that everything will work the same and I will just have a bigger internal local hdd.

Are there any problems that I might encounter? I want to make sure that I anticipate anything that might go wrong because if anything bad happens I won't have a computer and I will have to rely on booting from my ubuntu live cd which is very impractical until I can fix the computer. So yes, is there anything I am forgetting or overlooking? Please advise, thanks!
(04-12-2011, 06:40 PM)Annuit Coeptis Wrote: I ran out of space on my local hdd on my laptop and I want to upgrade to a bigger one. I bought an hdd that is bigger and that is compatible with my current laptop. I plan to take the old hdd out and put the new one in. The trouble is I don't want to have to deal with reinstalling all the programs that I had on my computer before. My plan to get around that is this:
  1. I will backup my current local hdd data to an .dat file on an external hdd using drive image .dat file
  2. I will then replace the old hdd with the new one
  3. I will then install windows 7 on the new hdd as a clean install.
  4. I will then partition the new hdd
  5. Next I will restore the old hdd data from the .dat file to that new hdd.
  6. I will then set that partition as the default boot partition and then boot from that partition ( it should boot exactly the way I used to have it right?)
  7. Then I will delete the other partition with the fresh install of windows 7 on it and merge it with the new partition in order to make one partition (CSmile
  8. Then I will hope that everything will work the same and I will just have a bigger internal local hdd.

Are there any problems that I might encounter? I want to make sure that I anticipate anything that might go wrong because if anything bad happens I won't have a computer and I will have to rely on booting from my ubuntu live cd which is very impractical until I can fix the computer. So yes, is there anything I am forgetting or overlooking? Please advise, thanks!

I don't see any notable/obvious problems you may encounter, good luck is my word of advice Tongue
You shouldn't have any problems reimaging as long as your image is not corrupted or has any problems.
I don't see any notable/obvious problems you may encounter
You shouldn't have any problems reimaging as long as your image is not corrupted or has any problems.
You're good to go bro. Make sure that you put everything on the .day file. If you miss one thing important, you're screwed.
That should work just fine, imo. I don't think you should fine any further difficulties, otherwise reply back.