Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing processors
So I want to replace my current processor because its getting old and I want something newer.

My current processor is an AMD Athlon 64 x2, I want to replace it with an AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor. Im assuming I can use any processor aslong as my motherboard supports it, not 100% sure on my motherboards model but if it supports the athlon the phenom should be fine right?

Also will it come with a heatsink and a fan? I'll be buying arctic thermal paste aswell

- Alex
What kind of motherboard do you have, Just because it supports the AMD Athlon doesn't mean necessarily that it will support that Phenom though
(04-02-2011, 04:24 PM)Infinity Wrote: What kind of motherboard do you have, Just because it supports the AMD Athlon doesn't mean necessarily that it will support that Phenom though

Correct. We need to know you motherboard model in order to figure out what other AMD CPU's you can install.
I believe its a nvidia mcp61 couldn't find any info on my pc on the web so I ran sudo lshw.
Actually, most motherboards support a certain series of processors. Upgrading to that AMD Phenom II X6 would require a socket AM3, while the AMD Athlon 64 would only require a Socket AM2. If I was to take a guess, I would assume that your motherboard probably won't support the new phenom.
The whole system is getting old now anyway, it's probably worth making my own build.
(04-02-2011, 04:54 PM)Alex Last Wrote: The whole system is getting old now anyway, it's probably worth making my own build.

Then I would say it's not worth upgrading your processor to the AMD Phenom II series
(04-02-2011, 04:54 PM)Alex Last Wrote: The whole system is getting old now anyway, it's probably worth making my own build.

Might as well, you could make one for a pretty cheap price.
(04-02-2011, 05:00 PM)Infinity Wrote: Then I would say it's not worth upgrading your processor to the AMD Phenom II series

That would be the point.
As It's been said above. I too think that your better choice would be to build an entire new PC.