Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking help with data recovery
I accidentally deleted a whole lot of films from my computer by accident (roughly 200, about 250GB or so) and emptied the recycling bin before I noticed. I've tried a recovery program and it found some of them but I wasn't able to recover them because I needed a license key. So I got a crack and by the time (the next day) that I ran the search again, I couldn't find the files anymore.

I need someone that knows their way around data recovery/HD's and that is willing to help me. This is a serious matter as it is the accumulating of media of several years. I'm really mad that I can't get it back. I need someone to help me ASAP, possibly though remote assistance, because the longer I wait the more likely the files will be overwritten in the bottom layer of my drive.
Firstly, you deleted 250GB worth of films from your computer without noticing? :S Hmm... I don't mean to break the bad news but I can almost guarantee that you won't get all of it back, just so that you know. There's lots of methods out there however.

I would highly recommend a program called Uneraser though if you are using a Windows OS.

The longer you wait though, you are right. Files that get deleted aren't really deleted, the data is still on your hard drive for the deleted files, it just gets replaced by newer data when you need space on your computer to move newer data into your computer for use.

First rule though if you want that amount of data back... Stop using the computer as much as possible.
(04-02-2011, 04:15 PM)Infinity Wrote: Firstly, you deleted 250GB worth of films from your computer without noticing? :S Hmm... I don't mean to break the bad news but I can almost guarantee that you won't get all of it back, just so that you know. There's lots of methods out there however.

I would highly recommend a program called Uneraser though if you are using a Windows OS.

Well, I think it was that much. Maybe about 150GB. But I know that when it's a lot of data that you're deleting from the recycling bin it asks you to confirm the 'emptying of the recycling bin' because the files are too big for the recycling bin. And I know for a fact I didn't get that message. So I don't know what really happened but all I do know is that I found some of the films with one of the recovery programs so I know that they got deleted. Why it's only finding some and not all, that I don't know. Maybe because some went to a different section of the disk.

Well I'm using it to find a way to get it back.
It's finding some and not all probably because some of that data had already been replaced with newer data on your computer. The more you use that computer the faster those files will have no data left behind to be able to recover them.
The important thing if you are going to recover files is to stop using the HD. Every minute you continue using the HD increases the chance that the spaces on the disk where the deleted files are will be overwritten with other data.

Then try some data recovery softwares like TestDisk, Recuva or Wondershare Photo Recovery.
Mods can close this. I salvaged as much as I could have with a hefty tool called 'Recuva'. The rest is gone. Thanks for the comments.
Sorry to hear that Solidify
[Image: t5BWm.png]
(04-06-2011, 06:38 PM)C0de_Override Wrote: Sorry to hear that Solidify

It's not that bad. I remembered that I burned most of those movies onto DVD's so I just copied my DVD collection back to my HD. I didn't get all of the films back but most of them. The rest I'm re-downloading. Probably about 50GB's worth of downloads.
I know that there's a way to do it via CLI. I just can't for the life of me remember the commands :X
It's the third time I've requested this topic to be closed. The issue has been resolved. For the love of God staff, wake up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AOL EMAIL PASSWORD RESET or RECOVERY 1866-201-6261 CONTACT AOL TECH SUPPORTT care newopu 1 914 05-24-2019, 03:22 AM
Last Post: AdilahBisar
  Reinstall using OS and Program/Data partitions J4P4NM4N 3 894 08-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Photo recovery from a re-formatted hard drive? delme 6 1,764 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Last Post: 4u111
  DATA RECOVERY FOR FREE! EXplore_System135 26 7,428 11-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Last Post: EXplore_System135
  data recovery help gwaan83 0 544 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Last Post: gwaan83